Images shared by Emma Helton
1. How did you start your business? Why did you want your own business? When did you start your business?
I started doodling in my bible over a year ago. Then I started doodling/lettering on a blank notebook I had. I loved it and was hooked! Showed some family and friends what I had been doing and they all suggested I start selling what I was writing! I switched from writing on paper, to writing on canvas and wood! Coastie Wife Creations officially launched July 2017!
2. Why was owning a business a perfect situation for you and your family?
It was perfect for me and my family because I am a stay at home Mom and could easily do my work at home!
3. What does your business specialize in? What's your favorite product? How'd you come up with the name?
I specialize in hand lettering on canvas and wood! I came up with the name because I am a Coast Guard Wife and I created things
4. What do you love best about working for yourself?
I can do it whenever I have time!
5. When working, When do you work in the day/evening? What's your process for working? Things you do daily, a routine?
I usually work on signs during nap time or after the kids are in bed at night.
6. Take me step by step through working with customers. Do you do anything special or unique, wrapping, specials, etc.?
If a customer would like a custom order they will either send me what they want, or tell me a general idea of what they want then I will come up with a few different designs and send them the pictures then they choose from those. Then I put the final design on the canvas or wood that they have chosen. Once it’s done I’ll send a picture of the final piece and get it ready to be shipped! With someone’s first order they will get a card in their package for 10% off their next order!
7. What is your success rate? What do you think customers would say about your work, shop?
Success rate is great! I’ve had a lot of people comment on my work and how great it is!
8. Why do you think people should shop in your store, and why should they support moms who work for themselves?
I think people should shop in my store because I do great quality work and really love what I do!
9. What are your items to sell?
Handlettered canvas and wood signs
10. How does your business allow you to be a great mother?
Because I can work while the kids are sleeping so it doesn’t take time away from them!
11. What do you think would surprise readers to know about you?
I am from Maine originally and DO NOT like seafood!
12. What is the coolest thing you've ever experienced as part of working with this business?
The people I’ve met online and in person, who have placed orders, or that I’ve met and talked to about business ideas.
13. What is one of your favorite gifts to give someone for the holidays?
I love to give gifts that are unique, and that are things that have to do with an inside joke, a memory, or something like that.
14. How many kids do you have? Give us one word to describe them.
I have 4 kids! Adrianna is 9, Jake is 8, Nicholas is 6, and Leah is 18 mos.
10% off! expires 12/31/17