share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Shop & Support Moms - Amie Romano - Amie's Paint and Twist - Face painting and party balloons!

I stumbled upon the amazing artwork and creativity of Amie Romano of Amie's Paint and Twist at the Mom and Baby Expo in Eliot a few weekends ago - and I'm so glad I did. Not only did she make my daughter's day by turning her into a gorgeous tiger in about 5 minutes time, she is such a great person to feature on this Shop & and Support series. 

I KNOW you moms will love her work for your upcoming parties. She is offering a great discount that can be used any time from now through next year, so you can book with her your upcoming children's parties. 

Thank you, Amie! 

MOMS: discount listed at the bottom of the page!

 
Images shared from Amie Romano


1. How did you start your business? Why did you want your own business? When did you start your business?
 I worked for a childrens entertainment company for 9 years while living in Connecticut, where I learned face painting and balloon twisting. In the late summer of 2015, I relocated to Maine to be closer to my family, and then decided it was the perfect time to start my own business.

To market my new business, I researched and applied at local events and festivals, and also contacted local businesses making them aware of the services that I offered.  This proved to be very fruitful, as I was hired for several events in the fall, such as the Monster Mash at The Brick Store Museum in Kennebunk, face painting on weekends during the apple picking season at Libby & Son U-Picks in Limerick, and at the annual HarvestFest in York.  Additionally, each event gave me the opportunity to promote my business by word-of-mouth and handing out business cards.

2. Why was owning a business a perfect situation for you and your family?
 Prior to moving to Maine, this was a secondary job for me.  Face painting and balloon twisting allows me to be creative and the move allowed me to pursue this full time.  
  
3. What does your business specialize in? What's your favorite product? How'd you come up with the name?

Amies Paint & Twist provides face painting, balloon twisting, and balloon decoration services.  Any of these services can be provided for birthday parties, festivals, school events, grand openings, corporate events, fundraisers, weddings/showers, etc.   I came up with my business name while brainstorming with my Mom, who played off of the Beatles song Twist and Shout, which ended up morphing into Amies Paint & Twist.
  
4.  What do you love best about working for yourself?
 Some of the best things about working for myself are being my own boss, having flexibility in my schedule, and enjoying what I do.  This flexibility allows me the opportunity to volunteer during the week at Ever After Mustang Rescue in Biddeford.

5.  When working, When do you work in the day/evening? What's your process for working? Things you do daily, a routine?
 My work is driven by my customers and their events.  A majority of the time, events fall on weekends and evenings.  Days prior to the event, I spend time preparing promotional materials, supplies, etc.  Balloon decorating, such as arches and columns, requires more extensive preparation.
  
4. Take me step by step through working with customers. Do you do anything special or unique, wrapping, specials, etc.?
 Each event is unique, and depends on the customers specifications and which services are being provided.  For example, for a recent wedding, the bride wanted an arch with an Under the Sea theme.  We met a few months prior to the wedding to discuss the details, such as room size, color schemes, type of arch, and other elements.  Since each decoration design is unique, I usually have to special order additional balloons and other various supplies (ribbons, tulle, etc).  Set up usually occurs the evening prior to or on the morning of an event. If the set-up occurs the evening prior to an event, I typically return the next morning to ensure all is well, i.e balloons did not deflate, etc.    
 
Preparing for face painting or balloon twisting involves assuring that the appropriate colors are in my inventory related to the event theme and that my sponges and brushes are clean and ready to go.  On the day of the party or event, I arrive early, allowing time to set-up so that Im ready to begin at the agreed upon time. 
  



5. What is your success rate? What do you think customers would say about your work, shop?
 Since starting my business, I have received multiple requests for repeat events, as well as new events, based on word of mouth.  

Recently at the York HarvestFest, numerous parents commented that the 20 - 45 minute wait time in line for face painting was worth it, or that they were hoping I would be back this year. Receiving positive feedback at these events has been pretty common.   
  
6. What are your favorite or best items that you sell?
 Everything I make, whether its face painting or a balloon creation, is unique, like snowflakes, no two are exactly alike.  I make each design slightly different, based on the customers request. 
  
7. What do you think would surprise readers to know about you?
 One of my first loves has always been horses.  I was fortunate enough to own one as a child and have many great memories of that experience.  I also enjoy nature photography and combing the beach for treasures that may wash up onshore. 
  
8. What is the coolest thing you've ever experienced as part of working with this business?

 Seeing the excitement and anticipation on a childs face, while waiting for their turn in line, as patiently as they can, and then revealing to them their new painted face in the mirror, is priceless! 

 11. What is one of your favorite gifts to give someone for the holidays?
 I enjoy giving custom artwork and photos, as it is more personal and meaningful. 




 Amie Romano
Amies Paint & Twist
 amiespainttwist@gmail.com
www.amiespaintandtwist.com
Facebook.com/AmiesPaintTwist
 (860) 681-9019

DISCOUNT: 
Offering a coupon for 10% off of 1+ hours of face painting or balloon twisting for a party expires 11/30/17 code: MSB-NOV2016

No comments:

Post a Comment