I love her picture below about if showers are luxuries as mothers, they should be luxurious! So true! Love that!
Thanks for sharing your great work with us, Kirstin. I know these would make fantastic baby shower, bridal shower, or holiday gifts!
Moms are always seeking new and unique ideas for gifts for daycare providers or teachers- these are perfect! Check them out!
Discount listed below :)
Images shared from Kirstin Parenteau
1. How did you start your business? Why did you want your own business? When did you start your business?
Soap making was a hobby for me. I was not happy with anything commercially available, so I started making my own natural soap for my family.
In 2014 I made soaps to give as Christmas gifts. Shortly after that, one of my good mom friends who owns an independent pharmacy with her husband, wanted to sell the soaps at the pharmacy. September Lane Soap Co. was born in January 2015 and I started retail sales!! I presently sell them online and in 4 other retail locations as well.
2. Why was owning a business a perfect situation for you and your family?
I really enjoy making soap when I am at home. I always worked full time before my kids came along. I now work part-time as a pharmacist, but on the days when I am home, you can find me making soap and filling orders.
3. What does your business specialize in? What's your favorite product? How'd you come up with the name?
I love the idea of old-fashioned soap, mixed with modern day science. Being a pharmacist, I have a special interest and knowledge of ingredients. What works, what doesn’t, and what is healthy for my family and myself. I only use the best ingredients that are healthy for the whole family. I use all the soaps for my own family as well.
My citrus basil olive oil soap is my favorite right now. I use it every day at the kitchen sink to wash my “always dirty mommy hands”. It never dries them out, cleans them well, and smells great!
The business name, September Lane Soap Co. was appealing to me because I love September. It is the month of my birthday, anniversary, and the friend that helped me brainstorm about the company has a birthday in September. Who doesn’t love that time of year??
4. What do you love best about working for yourself?
It’s fun to do things you love as a business.
5. When working, when do you work in the day/evening? What's your process for working? Things you do daily, a routine?
I typically work during my boy’s naptime, and in the evening. There is not a normal routine, just whenever I have orders to fill, or feel like being creative!
6. Take me step by step through working with customers. Do you do anything special or unique, wrapping, specials, etc.?
I often have specials posted on my Facebook page to apply at checkout online. I believe my product in itself is special, and that is what my customers appreciate! I also offer a personal shopping experience, when my customers tell me what kind of soap they are looking to purchase I can offer advice on which of my products might work best for them. I am passionate about being a caring pharmacist, as well as soap-maker!
7. What is your success rate? What do you think customers would say about your work, shop?
I have had very many good reviews. Thankfully, I haven’t had any complaints in the year I have been selling the products!
I think customers appreciate that I will go the extra mile to make what they would like.
I had a “Shower soap” order for a bridal shower this summer, and the girls wanted cowboy boot themed soaps… I made it happen. That is how you build a great customer base; providing personalized, excellent service.
8. Why do you think people should shop in your store, and why should they support moms who work for themselves?
I think all moms deserve a lot of support! It is hard to raise children and contribute to your family finances. I enjoy that sense of accomplishment, and making contributions to what we can buy, and save for the future. I think most any mom can relate.
9. What are your items to sell?
Anything and everything bar soap! I sell some gift sets, some which include handmade washcloths that my sister-in-law crochets. I make personalized “Shower soaps” for bridal, and baby showers. I have also done a bulk order for wedding favors.
10. How does your business allow you to be a great mother?
For me, I just love feeling a sense of accomplishment and giving back. I know raising your children is a huge accomplishment, every.single.day. Doing other things for the greater community gives me a great sense of community and personal satisfaction. I need that to feel myself, and be the best version of me for my kids. It gives them a happy mom.
11. What do you think would surprise readers to know about you?
I work 24 hours a week as a pharmacist! I was born a multi-tasker. When I stopped working 44+ hours a week as a pharmacy manager after my first son was born, I had a million things to do, but I still was bored enough to start making soap!
12. What is the coolest thing you've ever experienced as part of working with this business?
I have gotten so many personal letters, notes, emails, messages, about how people love my soap! The personal customer relationships are so awesome, and I love and appreciate every single note!
13. What is one of your favorite gifts to give someone for the holidays?
I despise giving regular, “run of the mill” gifts. I like to give each person a unique, creative, special, and thoughtful gift. My soap allows me to do that. It is awesome.
14. How many kids do you have? Give us one word to describe them.
I have two boys, ages 4 and 2. They are just the best!!
I will offer 15% off an entire order online with the coupon code MOMMY15 at checkout! Expires 12/12/2015