share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Monday, August 10, 2015

Mom of the Month - Julie Seavey

Congratulations to our August Mom of the Month Julie Seavey! She is one hard working, dedicated, supportive, encouraging mother - and so much fun, I can tell from her boys' smiles in their pictures! 

She shares her difficult second pregnancy and preemie baby boy who was just so ready to meet his Mama early, and her advice for letting things go and enjoying them while they're little. Such a great, inspiring story of motherhood. 

Thank you, Julie! 



All images shared from Julie Seavey

Describe your children in 3-5 words. How did you choose their names? 
Reid: curious, sensitive, imaginative. His name is the first initials of his four grandparents put together, Randy Erwin Irene Debbie.
Benjamin: silly, mischievous, lovable. We were going back and forth on names for a while and Chris and I were discussing the name Ben. Reid was there and as always listening to every word we said. All of a sudden Reid came up to my belly put both hands on it and said "hi baby Ben, it's your big brother Reid!" After that we couldn't have chosen another name.

How old are your children? How did you tell people you were expecting a baby?
Reid 4(4 and a half if you ask him) Benny 2(2 and a quarter if you ask him) When I was pregnant with Reid I found out right before April fools day and my mom and I were going to have dinner that night because Chris was out of town. When I did tell her she didn't believe me of course but I finally convinced her it was true. The next day Chris and I went to York for breakfast and told my sisters and dad. For Chris' family we announced it at Easter dinner..  

I found out I was pregnant with Benny at work.  At the time I was the Preschool Education Coordinator at Bright Horizons, Reid was right on site with me so on the way home I told him.  Reid was an early talker so we talked about how he was going to be a big brother and that when we get home I wanted him to tell his daddy that there was a baby in my belly.  Chris was upstairs in the office and Reid went right up and told him.  Chris' face was very confused at first because he knew what Reid said but thought he had heard him wrong.  That evening Reid called his grandparents and shared the news.


How would you describe your pregnancies? How was delivery, birth and labor for you? 
Reid was very easy,  no morning sickness, craved chocolate milk, and I loved being pregnant.  He was born the day after my 27th birthday on Dec 5th.  Since it was so close to Christmas we spent my birthday shopping in freeport in the morning, then down to York for lunch to celebrate my birthday with my family.  My mom bought Chinese food to try and help induce labor.  After lunch we came home to Kennebunk, took a nap and got ready for dinner at the Steakhouse in Wells.  After a huge dinner we went to my brother in law's to hang out and didnt get home until 11.  I remeber laying on the couch and telling Chris that all I wanted to do the next day was sleep in and do nothing.  Reid had a different plan and had me up at 4 am,  I knew he was ready to come so I took a shower, watered the Christmas tree and headed to to the hospital by 7 where Reid was born at 1;20 pm.  For medication I chose to have entathycal (sp) rather than an epidural which by the time he came had worn off, it was painful but once he came the pain didnt matter anymore it was forgotten and I had my little man.

I wish I can say that Benny's story was as easy.  For him I had the same easy beginning pregnancy.  I did have placenta previa but was hoping it would fix itself by the time it was time to deliver to avoid having a c-section.  On my 32 wk appointment I was measuring smaller that normal, not enough to raise too much concern but something to note for my next appointment.  That night while I was sleeping I kept waking up to what I thought was me slightly peeing the bed.  The next morning I told chris about it and he seemed more concerned than me and made me call the birthing suite at SMMC.  I called right from bed so the Dr. on call said to get up, do my normal routine and if anything happens then come in.  After I showered I knew something wasnt right because( sorry for TIM) a puddle of liquid came out and I knew it wasnt pee or from my shower.  I called my inlaws to tell them we needed to drop off Reid and thought I could keep my cool but lost it on the phone with my Mother in law.   Once at SMMC I saw the doctor who delivered Reid.  After an exam she told me that she was sorry but she wasnt going to be delievering Ben and I was to be transported to MMC to be placed on bed rest.  At MMC I had an ultrasound and was told I'd be having a c section in the morning because Benny was pinching the umbilical cord between his head and my cervic and I was leaking amniotic fluid slowly..... That night I was hooked up to every machine that could make the loudest most annoying sounds and didn't get much sleep.  The next morning I had another ultrasound which showed the cord had moved so I didnt have to have the c section that day.  I stayed at MMC until Benny was born at 36 weeks.  After he was born I didnt get to see him for very long, they let me kiss him and then wisked him away to the NICU and me to recovery.  I finally got to see him 2 hrs later but didnt get to hold him.  I was transported to my room upstairs and Benny stayed down in the NICU.  That first night was hard, while I laid in bed listening to people all around me celebrating the birth of their baby and hearing little mobiles playing my little guy was down stairs. 
I stayed in the hospital for 3 nights and then was released.  That night before my release I remember how helpful the Mommy Stories moms were.  I never really reach out or ask for advice on the page but when I did about leaving my guy behind after my release so many people reached out and gave me so much encouragement, which I thank you for!
Benny stayed in the NICU for about a month and then was home with us and we could enjoy a family of 4 in our house.

Describe yourself as a mom in 3-5 words. 
Patient, Fun, Loving

 What type of mom do you hope your children think you were someday when they're old enough to tell you? 
 Caring, Supportive, and Strong





What things have you done as a mom that you're most proud of?
Nursing both until they were 12 months, Potty trained both boys at 2!  Allowing them to ask questions and try to answer them the best I can.  Giving them memorable experiences with family.

 What have been the most difficult parts to being a mom?
 I know I said I describe myself as a patient mom but I find this to be so difficult sometimes.  

I often remind myself that they are only small once, let them live life and not hurry through it but it can be so hard sometimes.

What advice about being a mom would you give to a brand new mother?
 Enjoy the little moments, snuggles, night time feeding,  hand holding, little kisses and know that  there are times when you are tired, frustrated, and just want to scream and that's ok!   

What is a typical day like for you? 
 Wake up and have breakfast with Daddy and then send him off to work.  We usually try and do something in the morning like go to the pool, walk the rachel carson reserve,  play groups, and library story time.  Then it's home for lunch and nap for Benny, Reid will do some quiet activities, I get caught up on house work and prep dinner.  Once Benny wakes up it's more time outside, Chris gets home, dinner, tubby, books, bed!
  What 5 things would you like to do with your kids someday, if anything were possible and money no object? 
 Drive an RV across the country,  go on an island vacation,  travel the world and see other cultures,  sail in the Caribbean,  buy a yacht and go anywhere! 





What are your favorite summer outings, events, plans, trips, etc. you like to take your family on?
 Gray Animal Farm, my in law's pool, Santa's Village, the beach, the trolley museum, Seacoast Science Center, play tourist in York Beach for a day..
 What was your favorite part of July? 
 Spending lots of time at my in law's pool and Reid swimming on his own in the deep end and Benny being my no fear child and jumping in the deep end with only his bubble on.





Tell us a time where you felt like you failed at parenting... but then realized you truly had not failed, things worked out fine. 
 When Benny was an infant I had a hard time adjusting to having two, and not working anymore.  I remember feeling like I didn't have the same connection with Benny as I did with Reid as an infant,  I felt horrible and really didn't tell anyone that I felt that way.  As Benny grew and my connection with him grew every day  I look back now and can see how their infancy were so different and it's ok that I did feel that way because now I could smush the little bugger I love him so much.
What makes you a strong mom?
 Having my mom as an example, and my boys
Anything else you want to add?
 There is nothing else in the world I'd rather be than a mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment