It's genius! You put the milk in at the top, it obviously goes to the bottom of the bag, and a small slit in the side of the bag helps you take one bag out at a time, in order of oldest to newest milk produced. It's simple yet something I would have found SO helpful having pumped and breastfed for my babies for two years total with two kids.
I love supporting moms who are working creatively to support their families. Please join me in supporting this awesome mama!
LIKE her Facebook page! Check out her Etsy shop. Think about buying one of these bags as a great baby shower gift. There is a code at the bottom of this page to save some money on your order, as a special treat for Mommy Stories readers.
Thank you, Kristy! I wish you all the best of luck with this new business!
Images shared from Kristy Witt
1. How did you start your business? Why did you want your own business? When did you start your business?
I started my own business because I had an idea I thought might benefit others, and starting my own business seemed like the best way to get my product out there. My business is fairly new. I just opened my Etsy shop about a month ago. My mom is actually the one who sews my product! I told her my idea and she helped me make it a reality. I sold some at a craft fair and then decided I could reach more people through Etsy!
2. Why was this business a perfect situation for you and your family?
I'm a stay a home mom, so being able to work from home on my Etsy shop, or pick weekends that work for me to show the milk bags at craft fairs works great right now.
I can still have lots of family time
and work on my business too!
It's a bag that is designed to help store breastmilk freezer bags. It keeps them organized and also helps you get to the oldest bag quickly!
3. What does your business specialize in? What's your favorite product you sell?
Right now the only product I sell is my milk storage bags.
I have more ideas for things I would like to make and hope to sell in the future!
4. What do you love best about working this business?
I love finally seeing my product come to life and I am hoping that people will love it and find it useful! I'm excited to get feedback and see what's working and how I can improve and where I should go with it in the future.
5. When do you work in the day/evening? What is your goal with this business?
I work mostly during my son's nap time and in the evening. Right now my goal is just to get the word out about the milk storage bags and hopefully help people who are looking to find a good way to organize all their breastmilk! For the future it would be nice to be able to continue working with my mom to make more bags and to come up with some new products!
6. Take me through your typical day at work.
Right now I have a stock of bags that I have listed for sale on Etsy. So most days I spend thinking of ways to get the word out about the bags and coming up with posts for my Facebook page. I talk with my mom about new patterns of fabric and ways to maybe improve on the bags. We aren't making anymore at the moment until we see how well the other ones sell.
7. What is your success rate? What are customers saying about their experience?
Since the business is fairly new I haven't heard a lot from customers yet.
Most people who see or hear about the bags think they are a good solution for storing breastmilk and I've had a couple friends who have bought them to give as baby shower gifts!
8. How could using these Milk Mate bags make life a little easier for new moms?I'm hoping the milk storage bags may help make moms lives a little easier when they are breastfeeding. It may save them some time they would normally spend searching for the oldest milk, or it may just help them feel a little more organized during a time when it can feel like everything is overwhelming.
9. What are your favorite moments so far of how you feel you've been able to help moms with nursing?
Because my product is new and I haven't received a lot of feedback yet I honestly don't know how much it's helping. But I do enjoy hearing people say that they look forward to using the product. I have also had a lot of women who breastfed in the past tell me that they wish they had something like this when they were breastfeeding.
10. How does your business allow you to be a great mother?
This business allows me to be flexible with when I work so I can spend some time with my son. But it also gives me the chance to be a role model for him. I made the decision to be a stay at home mom, and I love it and I am grateful I have the opportunity to stay home. But now I can also show him that I am making time to work and try and turn my ideas into a reality and a business opportunity.
11. What do you think would surprise readers to know about you?
It may surprise them that I came up with this whole idea after I was already done breastfeeding! I didn't even get the chance to use my own bags to help me keep organized when I was breastfeeding!
12. What is the coolest thing you've ever experienced as part of working with this business?
I think so far the best part has been getting to talk to my mom about my idea and see her make it come to life. Since I can't sew well I told her about my idea when I came up with it and she understood what I meant and quickly made one for me.
13. What is a personal story of yours of how these bags can help moms with their busy lives and providing breastmilk to their babies?
I didn't have a great way for storing milk when I was breastfeeding since I hadn't thought of the bags yet. Because of that, it was always a struggle to find the oldest bag in the fridge to try and use first. Right after having a baby things were already stressful and so adding the stress of not being able to find the milk I needed wasn't good. I also always felt bad if someone offered to help get a bottle ready because then they would have to search through all the milk also.
14. How many kids do you have? Give us one word to describe them.
I have one son and I would describe him as chatty. He loves to talk! He's also very loving and has a ton of energy! (Sorry it's hard to describe him in one word :) )
15. What is your advice to a pumping or nursing mom?
Do your best and don't be hard on yourself when there are days you want to quit or give up (which can pretty much apply to parenting in general). Breastfeeding can be hard and time consuming but it can also be a great experience!
16. Anything else you want to add?
I just truly hope these bags may help someone who is looking for a way to organize their milk. I searched a lot for the best way to store milk when I was breastfeeding but couldn't find anything that really seemed to work for me. So if I can help someone that will make me happy!
SPECIAL DISCOUNT FOR MOMMY STORIES READERS - Save $3 off of your order when you use the code SUMMER15 at Kristy's Etsy shop.