share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

the start of summer!

Memorial Day has come and gone and that means the start of SUMMER is approaching!

I love long weekends at home, out in the sunshine, hanging with cousins, family and friends, barbecue foods, and more sunshine.

It's the best time of year. My kids and I are full of adventurous spirits in the summer.



Things we're looking forward to this summer:

  • BEACH DAYS - lots and lots of them. We live at the beach, sand everywhere, buckets packed the night before with plenty of shovels to go around, relaxation and waves crashing and cool water. LOVE these days.
  • Flip flops and Crocs. Love easily putting shoes on, grabbing a hat or sunglasses, and heading out the door. The ease of this time of year makes me smile. No more coats, hats, gloves, boots, etc. before leaving the house. 
  • Fresh fruits and veggies. Our favorite thing in the summer is to visit the farm stand up the street and the kids get to choose a fruit treat for the ride home. They think it's like going to a candy store - peaches, apples, bananas, pears, plums (their personal favorite are plums!). I love how fun that is for them. 
  • Summer dinners. Looooove barbecue chicken, corn on the cob, and cucumber/tomato salads for dinner. Again, easy, simple, good = that's what summer is all about.
  • More baths. Well, not so much, but honestly more baths means we played HARD and got dirty outside, which is when my kids behave the best, the more time outside the better for our family. I love watching their creativity explode outside. So much they can explore.
  • Windows open. I love driving down the road with the wind blowing into the car, radio up, everybody singing, sunglasses on the kids. It's just FUN and freeing. We all need that after a long winter!
  • All things in balance. In the summer I feel like we get plenty of rest, adventure, energy, fun, relaxation, fresh air, and healthiness. It's all in balance in the summer for us. The key is to keep that balanced state into the busy fall! 
  • Seeing old friends and family. It's a time to reconnect and hang out with those you don't always see. It's so easy to plan a quick trip to the lake or ice cream stand in the summer. We get out there more than we do in the winter months. I love that!
  • Reading. I read a ton more in the summer months since I don't work as much and so therefore aren't as tired. I get caught up on my magazines and read for FUN, not just for blogging or parenting. Love relaxing through reading.
  • Day trips- I LOOOVE adventures. My mom taught me well. We never stayed put too long as kids. We were always planning an adventure somewhere. Every morning my kids wake up asking me, "What are we going to do today, Mommy?" I love that they know we won't just sit around. It's always good to have those sit around days, of course, so in the midst of our busy summer fun we make sure we take down days in between. But planning trips to zoos, parks, new beaches and lakes, etc. is the most fun of our summer.




Most of all, I look forward to more time together! It will be "SO MUCH FUN" as my daughter says.

Happy *almost* SUMMER! 


No comments:

Post a Comment