share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Friday, April 24, 2015

BOYS will be boys

Oh, boy oh boy. 
How wonderful are little boys! 

They are busy and faster than the speed of light. They are sweet and caring, so curious about how everything works. My son has recently asked me about 143 times how he came out of my belly. I've told him about the C-section and the scar and the doctor's tools. He wants to know how it all worked, he's so intrigued by this.

Boys can be messy and active, frustratingly so sometimes.
They can steal your hearts within moments of seeing them.

Boys are so unique and special. I read the book, How Do You Tuck In A Superhero? by Rachel Balducci (book review coming soon), which prompted me to write about boys today. I find they are so inquisitive and I am in awe of their wonders.

Reading everyone's responses to my questions from the Mommy Stories Facebook group, I see that we moms of boys, we're not alone in the slightest. Many boys are similar in how they act and what they feel and do. The responses here are not all-encompassing of course, there are many differences among boys. Some boys are not busy, some are not loud but rather super shy. I don't want to leave them out. In writing this, I hoped to bring together the group of moms who parent these young boys, in hopes that we aren't feeling as though we stand out in a crowd with our one loud, won't sit still, asking a thousand questions little guy, but rather we have AMAZING children, who will someday be in charge of this planet, fixing all that is wrong with it, making everyone feel appreciated from their leadership roles.

Enjoy, Mamas, and thank you to those who contributed responses for this post. I truly loved reading what you wrote.


WORDS TO DESCRIBE BOYS:
I asked the moms in the Mommy Stories Facebook group to describe their boys in 3-5 words. Here is the wonderful list they came up with!

The top words to describe boys:
energetic, sweet, passionate, sensitive, adventurous, and curious. SO MUCH FUN!

  1. Honest 
  2. Real
  3. Like his father
  4. Loud
  5. Dirty
  6. Gross
  7. Loving
  8. Sweet
  9. Curious
  10. Adventurous
  11. Energetic
  12. Daredevils
  13. Cuddly
  14. Sensitive
  15. Passionate
  16. Busy
  17. Lovable 
  18. Enthusiastic
  19. Golden retrievers
  20. Inquisitive
  21. Messy
  22. Funny
  23. Perfect
  24. Rugged
  25. Oblivious
  26. Intrigued
  27. Lively
  28. Social
  29. Unpredictable
  30. Affectionate
  31. Exhausting
  32. Active
  33. Loving
  34. Brave
  35. Imaginative
  36. Caring
  37. Craves knowledge
  38. Independent
  39. Daring
  40. Sneaky
  41. Joyful
  42. Fun
  43. Physical
  44. Irreplaceable


Beach photos from Tiffany Gilpatrick 


Here is what some moms felt or thought before having a boy: 
(from moms in the Mommy Stories Facebook group)

  • "My biggest fear about being a mom to a boy was not being able to relate to him. I was afraid he'd always identify more with my husband than me like the whole 'boys club' motto. But now, I see how wrong I was. Children need both parents, and he needs and relates to me just as much as his dad. I can say we BOTH bring out the best in him." 
"He is the light of my life,
 and he will for sure teach me to be young again." 

  • "When I first found out I was having a boy, my first thought was that he was going to be the love of my life... and I was so right! I wasn't worried at all." 
  • "I wasn't sure I would have stuff to bond over. I hate sports, car stuff, the outdoors, dirt, etc. But it's funny how my interests have changed. Plus he loves to cook and craft!" 


SILLY BOYS WILL BE BOYS:

Funny things they have said or done:

  • Picking up honey bees!
  • Talking about his penis all the time, loudly, wherever we are!
  • "Mom, I've got a little poop streak in my underwear!"
  • Tooting... and how proud he is of it!
Funny things moms cannot believe they have said to their boys:
  • Stop running into that wall. 
  • Don't sniff your brother's butt!
  • Don't ride the dog!
  • Stop throwing the remote!
  • Don't like the dogs, that's yucky.
  • We don't throw the potty at Mama, that's not nice.
  • We don't put our hands down in our undies.
  • Worms do not belong in our pockets.
  • Stop picking your brother's nose!
  • If I have to tell you one more time not to eat boogers you are going to eat broccoli for a week.
  • Please blow your nose on this tissue, Mama's shirt is NOT a tissue.
  • Don't forget to tuck it in when you sit on the potty. 
  • No, Mama cannot pee standing up and it's not because my peepee is broken.
  • No no, take your binky off your peepee please.
  • Take your penis off of the window. 
  • We don't poke the dog's butt.


BOYS TOYS

Some things boys love to play with:

  • Balls
  • Trains
  • Trucks
  • Little figurines
  • Anything that keeps them moving- 4 wheelers, ATVs, bikes, etc.
  • Costumes that spark creativity and imaginations.
  • Planes
  • Automobiles
  • Books
  • Legos or building toys
  • Action figures
  • Sports
  • Pretend play, dress up
  • Mud puddles
  • Hammers/nails
  • Pile of boards or blocks
  • Electric scooters
  • Dirt bikes
  • Swimming
  • Toys that have motion
  • Being outside
  • Bats
  • Sticks
  • Sand / dirt
  • Tractors
  • Play food
  • Little People
  • Farm animals
  • Princess castle
  • Baby dolls 
  • Transformers
  • Minecraft
  • Pokemon
  • Art supplies, staplers, scissors, glue, etc. to build art creations.


ADVICE TO MAMAS OF BOYS:

"Be calm and don't worry too much. Really boys will be boys and let them be. You will love the adventures they take you on. Just go with the flow, but always make sure to set limits cause they will sure test them."

  • "All boys are different. my DS is always active. He keeps us on our toes, and there is never a dull moment. Cherish them for who they are, and learn to love their sense of adventure, and constant GO GO GO. My son is teaching me to be a more active person, and to have energy i didn't know i was capable of having. It took some time, but I've learned to let go, and just have fun!"
  • "Nap when they nap, they are exhausting!!! Enjoy every moment! Let them get dirty and have fun exploring with them! Don't freak when they get hurt, make them tough  love on your boys "
  • "Be prepared to learn all about dinosaurs or monster trucks or whatever they are passionate about... and try to at least act passionate about it too! Stop worrying about staying clean and let them get dirty!! Provide things for them to climb on! Let them play with dolls and kitchens (and even in the kitchen) so they become well rounded men and hopefully good husbands and fathers some day! Mostly...relax and enjoy them! They will test you, they will seem to never run out of energy...but there is nothing like being his first love! ♡"
"Boys are amazingly energetic and brave. They can teach you so much and it's SO true 'boys will be boys' so as a mom, let your inner boy child join in and have fun, play pirate, race trucks, get in the dirt. It's a very freeing experience to have a little boy." 
  • "They will also steal your heart in ways you never thought possible. My son is tender, cuddling, caring, and sensitive and smart, oh so smart. I used to always wish and wish that I'd have a girl, but now with my son, I would NEVER trade this experience for anything in the world."
  • "Watch out for that penis! Be prepared during diaper changes, because pee will get everywhere. I always wanted a girl, until I had a son. There's nothing like the sweetness of a boy with his mommy. I never thought I would grow a love for trucks, cars, tractors, air planes, and trains.. But I did!"
  • "They are full of love and very affectionate... Enjoy it while they're young!!! "
  • "I love how much boys love their mamas so fiercely!"
  • "Let them help! My son loves to help cook, do laundry, whatever I'm doing. He's only three but he knows where to put his dirty laundry and dishes..his dad, not so much! But my son is used to cleaning up and helping in the kitchen. He's quite the little chef!"

ENJOY THOSE LITTLE BOYS, 
GROWING UP TO BE WONDERFUL MEN BECAUSE OF YOUR LOVE AND GUIDANCE!

Resources:

To the Mother of All Boys:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cheryl-donely/to-the-mother-of-all-boys_b_6991276.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037

Raising Boys - PBS
http://www.pbs.org/parents/raisingboys/

10 Things I Wish I'd Known About Raising Boys
http://www.today.com/parents/10-things-i-wish-id-known-about-raising-boy-1D79911267

5 Things I Learned About Raising Boys - So Far
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2014/11/12/5-things-i-learned-about-raising-boys-so-far/

No comments:

Post a Comment