share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Mom of the Month - Melissa LaFrance

Congratulations to a wonderful, hard working, super mom Melissa LaFrance as our March Mom of the Month! She is so dedicated - to both her little family and to others' families, as she's a nurse in a busy city hospital. She's sweet, full of fun, and just awesome.

Thanks for sharing your life with us, Melissa!


Images from Melissa LaFrance 

1. Describe your children in 3-5 words. How did you choose their names?
Energetic, lovable, fun. My husband was insistent on naming our daughter Abigail. I wasn't so sure but I was finally convinced  when I read the meaning of Abigail is "a father's love". How could I say no after that? Seemed very fitting! Brody was the only boy name we could agree on! We tried for a long time to finally agree on a name. We didn't know the sex of our first baby, so had both names picked out the first time around. Luckily, we ended up with a boy the second time around so didn't have to fine another. 

2. How old are your children? How did you tell people you were expecting a baby? 
Abigail is 4, Brody will be 2 next month. I don't remember the exact way we told people we were having a baby, I don't think we did anything too crazy. However, when we found out the sex of our son we had the ultrasound tech write down B or G on a piece of paper and then place it in an envelope. We than brought that paper home and had our daughter read the letter out loud for us to all hear for the first time. I loved doing it that way, having a special way to find out all together. We video taped it, so it's something we can always look back on. 



3. How would you describe your pregnancies? How was delivery, birth and labor for you?
I really can't complain about my pregnancies. The only thing I can complain about is that both were overdue. Abigail by a week and a half and Brody by 3 days. I was induced with Abigail and it was terrible. My husband and I went in thinking we would have a baby in a few hours, instead it took 3 days! I like to tell anyone I know that's going to be induced, how long it can take. No one told us that going in! Brody's birth was much better. Contractions started at midnightand he was born at 8am

4. Describe yourself as a mom in 3-5 words. 
Thoughtful, fun, easygoing

5. What type of mom do you hope your children think you were someday when they're old enough to tell you?


I hope my kids look back and think of me as fun but also as their friend. I strongly believe you can't just be a friend to your kids (they also need the discipline aspect), but hope they consider me someone they can always confide in and feel comfortable talking to. 


6. What things have you done as a mom that you're most proud of?
I think I'm just proud of my kids in general. Proud of my husband, kids and myself for being the perfect little family in my eyes. 



7. What have been the most difficult parts to being a mom?
Fitting everything into the day. I feel like I'm constantly doing something and can't ever get things done that I want. I know most moms feel this way, but I feel like all I do is dishes, laundry, vacuum. Then it starts all over again! I have so many things I want to get done but simply don't have enough time! 

8. What is your favorite baby/child product(s) that makes your mom job easier?
Baby swing when they were infants, both mine loved the swing. I LOVE my stroller, the baby jogger city select. Old Navy maternity tanks, Nalgene sippy cups, and Aden and Anais blankets also top my list. 

9. What advice about being a mom would you give to a brand new mother?
Enjoy it, like everyone says, it goes by too quick. 



10. What is a typical day like for you? 
Wake up, get kids breakfast and dressed for day, drop Abigail off at preschool, go to gym and/or run errands, pick Abigail up from school, lunch, nap for Brody, shower, babysitter arrives (if I'm working a night shift), leave for work at 530 and work until 7am. If I'm not working nights, my husband is home from work at 8pm.

11. What 5 things would you like to do with your kids someday, if anything were possible and money no object? 
I would just like to travel more with the kids. Especially when they get older. Would love to do Disney at some point, but would love to travel all over if possible. 

12. How do you juggle being a full time working mother, working long hours at night, in a demanding job where you take care of others… then go home and be an awesome mom, too? What helps you? What challenges do you face? 
It can be challanging working night shifts. I work 2-3 12 hour shifts a week, some day shifts other night shifts. My biggest challenge is after working nights. I usually sleep 3 hours and then wake up and have to be in a 'normal' state for the rest of the day. My husband doesn't get home until 8pm so it can be a long day! However, it is what it is. I'm fortunate that I have the type of job that I can work 30 hours a week but only be gone 2-3 days out of the week and some of those times are when my kids are sleeping. It helps me feel like I'm not missing out on too much (even thought it might kill my body!). 

13. Tell us a time where you felt like you failed at parenting... but then realized you truly had not failed, things worked out fine.
Breastfeeding was a big failure for me, or so I thought at the time. I struggled with it with both. By 3 months with both kids, I was fully formula feedeing. At the time I thought I was the worst mom ever. However, now I'm totally fine with it. Both my kids are smart and healthy. 


You do your best as a mom and that's what I did. I like to tell new moms it's not the end of the world if you can't breastfeed. You're children will be fine!

14. What makes you a strong mom?
My kids. They make me stay strong and want to be the best mom I can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment