share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, January 10, 2015

healthy, happy, you 2015 - PART 3 - be healthier

Part 3 of our healthy series: staying healthy in all aspects of your life.

You know being a mentally and physically healthy person is going to make you the strongest, coolest, most energetic mom you can be. That's great for everyone, but especially for your kids.

I asked moms in the group how specifically they stay healthy. Here are some ideas for you!
  • No caffeine.
  • Drink water.
  • No over-the-counter medicines.
  • Avoid processed foods whenever possible.
  • Buy foods with limited ingredients.
  • Make our own breads, pastas, taco seasoning, pancake mixes, etc.
  • Avoid canned vegetables and soups, etc. with high sodium.
  • Go-to snack is popcorn made by kernels.
  • Keep sodium, sugar and fats low.
  • No soda.
  • Make smoothies with veggies and fruits in them.
  • Take multivitamins.
  • Probiotics.
  • Chiropractic adjustment every month or so.
  • Massages every few weeks.
  • Working out for muscle and tone, to feel healthier. 
  • "Trying to stress less over everything. Counting my blessings, wishing on stars and saying my prayers of thanksgiving every night. Trying to remember that other people are capable too."
  • Using non-toxic and organic products.
  • Focusing more.
  • Sleeping more. "Getting at least 6-7 hours of sleep a night! I wasn't before and it feels so good now, even if that means going to bed with a messy house. I'm such a happier person!"
  • Not stressing over things I can't control. 
  • Kneel instead of bend when picking up toys to save my back!
  • Eating fresher food.
  •  Juice more.
  • Breathe.
  • Meditate.
  • Eliminate sugars, processed foods.
  • Eating more.
  • Whole 30
  • 30 Days of Yoga with Adrienne
  • Playing more.
  • Changing products we use to have more organic, natural products in the house.
  • Weight Watchers
  • Setting running goals 

These are a few of the things I personally do to stay healthy:
  • Wash hands a lot! I work in a school so around germy kids. I keep wipes in my purse and car, too, to wipe my kids' hands after we visit stores or parties, etc.
  • Don't add the little things I don't need like butter on pancakes with syrup.
  • Avoid salt for the most part (I make exceptions for corn on the cob and popcorn!). My dad had a heart attack in part due to sodium intake, so now when I cook I just avoid putting it in. I figure if it tastes terrible after it's cooked without salt, I can easily add the salt... I've never had to do that! It is fine without it. 
  • Make my own things like taco seasoning, pancake mix, laundry detergent, etc.
  • Take a multivitamin.
  • Avoid caffeine. I luckily just don't like the taste of coffee and only enjoy soda randomly like with pizza. I drink water like it's my job and actually enjoy it.
  • Wash my face before bed. 
  • Talk about my problems, don't keep it in until I burst.
  • Deep breathing helps me stay a saner mother and find patience when I don't have it.
  • NEVER diet. I think diets are dumb, waste of time, energy and money. They don't work long term. I focus on everything in moderation and exercising. 
  • Drink warm water with lemon juice in it in the morning to cleanse. 
  • Drink a water bottle on my drive to work. I read about this in a book two years ago and have been doing it ever since, it's SO great. You get dehydrated in the night, so we all need to re-hydrate first thing in the morning. I start my day off right this way. Luckily I have a 30 minute commute to work so it's easy to get the bottle drank when I get there. 
  • Exercise a few times a week. I am so grateful to have a treadmill in my house! I make working out a priority because it helps me feel so much better mentally and physically. 
  • Drink H20. It's honestly a good drink, it doesn't bother me, I like water. 
  • Flax seed - I started using this in the summer and it's awesome! I put it on my cereal or yogurt each morning at breakfast. I put it in my kids' yogurt, cereal, muffins, etc. You can barely taste it and it's good for you. 
  • Snack often. I eat things that fill me up like apples with peanut butter or almonds, or cranberries and cashews. Hummus is my favorite with carrots!
  • Doctors visits every year - gyno, eye, dentist, etc. just to check in!
So here's your goal this week: Make ONE small change in your world to be a healthier person. 

One thing. Choose something on the list above from the other moms. Go get a multivitamin. Schedule an annual doctor's appointment that you've been avoiding. Change your morning coffee to have less sugar in it or add in an extra water bottle during your day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment