share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

MOM 2015 Resolutions - part 2

Part two of our Mom 2015 Resolutions series with two dynamic, strong, hard working, determined mothers, Hannah Contella and Libby Butler. I love their ideas on focusing on what's important, ignoring the little things like messy houses (they both said this!). Great advice for all of us this year. 

Thanks, ladies! 

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE!

*********************************************************************************

HANNAH CONTELLA
Mom of the Month March 2014

http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2014/03/mom-of-month-hannah-contella.html



1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2014? 
I have learned so much this year. It's so hard to put it all down. 

2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year?
I want to see less stress and more quality family time. I sometimes feel like we are always so busy that the times we do get to sit down and hang out, it is either rushed or we are just too exhausted to do anything. 

3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2015?
Fun, fulfilling, content 

4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now... going into 2015? 
Some of my resolutions are going to be.. *Put away my phone more to enjoy being in the moment with my kids.  

*The housework can wait. Kids don't care if there are dishes in the sink or if the floors were mopped. They want me to play and that I will! 

I love our family movie nights and family game nights. Those we will keep doing, making them our own tradition. 

Something I would like to try to change is not stressing out over the little things. Kids and personal. There are things you can't change no matter what. I hope I can learn to just let those be and not dwell on it. 

5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you?
I am always looking for advice in this area!


LIBBY BUTLER
Mom of the Month October 2014

http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2014/10/mom-of-month-libby-butler.html


1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2014? 
I'm not sure if I learned this or if it just came together, but being able to handle 2 kids on 2 different schedules, feeding needs, and sleep needs has been a huge accomplishment. 

I've learned that it's okay to take some time during the day to do the needed household chores while the kids are playing independently. Previously I had tried to do as much as possible after bed time but when I do that I don't have any downtime for myself. My daughter is old enough that she can help with some of my big tasks like sorting laundry...she thinks it's fun and I get work done while still playing with her. 

I've continued to accept that my kids are only little once and that some of the “big” things really aren't that big in the grand scheme of things – I cuddle both of my kids to sleep EVERY night, because we all like it and because this will end someday. 

I STARTED regularly giving my son a bottle after a year old as I weened him from nursing, I'm pretty certain he won't take a bottle to kindergarten...or at least to high school. 

I've learned that I can be wildly anxious and indecisive or fiercely passionate and confident when it comes to decisions regarding my kids...and both are okay. I love them more than I could have ever thought possible, they bring me so much joy.

2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year?
More: Meal planning, healthy activity both with my kids and by myself, time on enjoyable activities
Less: Negativity, anxiety about keeping my house organized and clean, material stuff

3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2015? 
Adventure, laughter, balance

4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now... going into 2015? 
I have a few resolutions that I toss around every year, usually all along the same lines. Although now as a parent I feel I have to set a good example to my kids. In basic terms, I want to have less material stuff, move more through exercise and play with my kids, and think before I speak to try to curb negative and anxious thoughts from spilling out of my mouth.

5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you? 
Recently I have found a hobby that keeps my interest. I've stopped focusing on making sure my house is entirely picked up every night (yes I'm nuts) and started to let some things go so I can focus on the hobby that I enjoy. Having something to do that I really enjoy allows me to be okay with not having a perfect house. 

Secondly, I make sure that I reach out to friends - both mommy friends and non mommy friends at least once a month for an outing. Even if we only talk about kids and family life at least I'm getting myself out of the house. 

As far as keeping resolutions, since I generally keep the same resolutions it's not hard to keep them – they are resolutions that I am always striving to achieve.


No comments:

Post a Comment