I have three recipes now that I love and each are slightly different. I'll put them in order of my MOST favorite to the last favorite. They're all great, each having a slightly different use and time to cook.
#1 Emerill's Chicken Pot Pie
ALL-TIME MOST DELICIOUS CHICKEN POT PIE EVER! I've been making this for more than 10 years. It's definitely a favorite of my family.
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) of unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
salt and pepper to taste (I do it up with lots of pepper)
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half
2 cups peeled and diced potatoes, cooked in boiling water until tender, 6 to 8 minutes
2 cups frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded from crock pot or cut up into cubes
2 tablespoons parsley
- Preheat the over to 400 degrees. Grease a baking pan.
- Boil the potatoes.
- Cook the chicken.
- Heat the butter in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, to make a blond roux.
- Stir in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half, and continue to cook another 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the potatoes, chicken, veggies, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- On the top pie crust I melt a tablespoon or so of butter and brush it over the crust edges and top, then put fork marks in the top of the crust so it's better tasting and doesn't get dark when cooking.
- Bake until golden brown 25 to 30 minutes.
DELICIOUS! I've made this a lot for new moms who just had babies. I serve it with cranberry sauce and bread.
Images from Google.com
#2 Easy Chicken Pot Pie from my Awesome SIL
This one is easier with fewer ingredients, and SO yummy. My SIL gave me this recipe for my bridal shower. She also made these for us after we had our son, individual pies, we loved having a few of them to take out for lunches or whatnot instead of a huge pie for a meal for a week.
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
bag of mixed frozen veggies
pillsbury pie dough
pepper and basil to taste
Mix all together. Put into individual casserole dishes (or make as a regular pie) and just cover with crust.
Bake 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes
#3 Alfredo Chicken Pot Pie
My co-worker Jeanne gave me this recipe at work. She said it's just a little different and much easier to make than a whole drawn out pot pie. I like the new twist on an old favorite.
chicken cooked in the crockpot all day, so shredded
jar of alfredo sauce (or if you're awesome-r than I am, make your own!)
pepper and parsley to taste
I mixed it all together, put into the pie crust. Cooked 350 for about 30 minutes.
It was pretty yummy, but definitely not your regular chicken pot pie taste. I would not serve it with cranberry sauce, but rather some rice or salad or something.
And just because it's fresh in my mind from Thanksgiving... here is the BEST stuffing recipe I've ever had in my life. Rachael Ray of course... LOVE her! It's SO easy, takes like 10 minutes and is delicious. I usually double this recipe.
Cranberry Orange Stuffing
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
2 cranberry orange muffins (I always put in more, buy them at the bakery section of a store)
2 tablespoons thyme
1 cup chicken stock (if you put in more than 2 muffins, add a half cup of stock for each muffin you add)
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan.
- When butter melts, add celery, onion, bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Crumble the muffins into the pan and combine with the vegetables.
- Add thyme and chicken stock.
- Cook stuffing five minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and let stand in warm pan.
YUMmmmmmmy. You will love not only how easy that recipe is for stuffing, but also the different orange cranberry taste!