share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Monday, May 26, 2014

party on - Hiedi Earwood - ABCs and Wheels on the Bus party!

I LOVE this party idea! What a creative way to feature something your child loved during their year! So much fun! LOVE that cake, incredible! Thanks, Hiedi Earwood, for sharing your creativity with us!

1. What was this party's theme and the age of your child? I chose a combination of Wheels On The Bus and ABCs. 




All photos from Hiedi Earwood
2. How far in advance before the party did you start researching ideas, planning, etc.? 
My youngest turned 1 in March, so I started thinking about and looking at ideas after her party. So about 6-8 weeks in advance. 
3. Where did you find your inspiration, ideas? Any good Web sites, books, etc. you used for ideas? 
I looked at some school by cake ideas on Pinterest. I kept an eye out any time I went into stores to see if there was anything ABC or school bus that I thought might work. 
4. What words did you want to describe this party? Fun! I wanted this party to be something that Boston would love. 
5. Why did you choose this particular theme this year for your child's party? Boston is obsessed with the alphabet right now. And one of his favorite songs is the Wheels on the Bus. It seemed easy enough to combine them. 



6. Where did you get the supplies- decorations, paper products, etc.? I already had the paper ball/lantern things from a previous party, so I reused them. I just switched out the pink balls for red ones. I like to send my husband to the store for that, because he always buys more than I would. He ended up buying these red and green rope lights that we put on the tables. 

The plates/napkins/tablecloths/letters used to make signs and banners/school buses/bins for drinks all came from the dollar store. The sand pails with shovels came for the Target 1$ bins. I used sand pails for snacks (alphabet cookies, colored goldfish, and alphabet cheezits). The most costly item for the party was actually the alphabet cookies. I couldn't find anything in stores, so I had to order a case of 6 bags on amazon. LOL. They are good though, Newman's Own Organic Alphabet Cookies. Very yummy. 
7. Did you do treat bags for the kids? If so, what and where did you get them? 
We did not do treat bags, as there weren't many kids there. 
8. How did you invite people to the party - paper in the snail mail invitation, Evite, email, FB event invitation, etc.? What worked or didn't work with this way of inviting people? And about how many people did you invite, why? 
We kept it small, just family. We'll do more "friend parties" when he is in school. There were about 15 people or so. 
9. Did you have any games at your party? If so, let us know how they went. 
No games. 




10. Where did you hold the party, and how did that work, pros and cons of having it at this location? 
We had the party at our house. It's nice because the other kids can run around like normal and I don't have to worry about anyone or anything getting broken, or worry about the baby getting into something. 
11. How did the party run, the agenda of when you did things (cake before presents? snacks and treats before cake?)? 
We had snacks first while everyone was talking and arriving. Then we moved to gifts, followed by cake last. 
12. What time was the party? Why did you choose that time, and did it work out well or not? 
We chose 4pm. That way the baby has had a nap and isn't fussy. It's also nice because I didn't have to worry about providing a meal, snacks and cake were plenty! 
13. Thing you are most proud of about this party and why? 
I'm most proud of how everything came together with the decorations. 

I'm also proud that I pulled off a decent school bus cake that actually looks somewhat like a school bus. Haha. I managed to get an exact school bus yellow shade when I made the fondant. Oh yeah, underneath the fondant? NUTELLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING. Yummy. 



14. How do you think your child enjoyed this party? 
Boston loved his party! After it was over, he kept asking where his school bus cake went, haha. He got to help me make the alphabet banner. He told me what all the letters were and what color, and what sound they made. My oldest daughter ( almost 11) helped with decorations and set up as well. We had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment