share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

rooms to grow - Amanda McCarty's baby girl nursery

So excited to finally feature my niece's new nursery! All pink and girlie, loving it! Antique, old fashioned and vintage - so cool, just like my sister Amanda McCarty (Chronicles of a Knaptime Knitter blogger and Crooked By Design Etsy shop extraordinaire!)

Check it out!



All photos from Amanda McCarty

1. What was your plan for the second baby's nursery when you found out you were pregnant? What themes did you want? Where did you find inspiration? 
When I found out we were having a girl, I had a very hard time picking a theme.  I didn't want a trend, because I knew I'd get sick of it.  Subsequently, I decided it didn't have to be a theme at all, and went with pale girl colors, and antique style decorating.  

Like many antiques and photos you see of old homes and rooms, they are a collection of people lives, things they have been given or collected over the years, and they don't always follow a pattern or theme.  

My husband and I love old things and the stories they tell, so I wanted her room to be a timeless place, filled with items old and new, a collection of things she might enjoy looking at as a baby, playing with as she gets older, and handing down to her own children when she comes becomes a mom someday. For example, the little elephant figurines were Ada's Great Grandma June's, and my husband remembers them from his childhood.  The bunny bookends were something I really wanted in the room, because they are something she can have forever, and I bought them new for her.




2. What was the "before" in this room like? Why did you want to change it up? Before turning into a girl fest, the room had been many things-an office, mom cave (which I never had time to use), a workout area-but most recently, it was a temporary room for my son while we re-did his into a bedroom/playroom.  It was Buzz Lightyear/Toy Story themed and very boy.  We were going to keep the walls the bright green they were with him, but when my husband offered to repaint it any way I wanted, I was thrilled to pick a more girl color.  

3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now? 

The thing I am most proud of, is (aside from actually painting the room) I did it myself.  I re-purposed old curtains to create the look of the ones in the room, I made the teething cover on the crib, in addition to the mobile and baby quilt and bunting.  I had so much fun making things for her and am still adding to it.  I was really excited with how it all came together, especially working with such a tiny space.  Babies have a lot of stuff, and I am pleased with how I was able to utilize the small space and have it not look too cluttered.



4. What do you hope your child thinks of his room or could do in this room?
My hope is that as she grows, she will love her room and feel like it is her's and her's alone. I hope she loves it as much as I do!  However, if/when she gets a little older, and wants it changed, I will-with a weepy eye-let her do what she wants with her space. 

5. What are the best parts about this room and why did you choose to include those? 
I think the best parts of the room are the little details.  The bunnies, the DIY projects I put into it, the hats on the wall (Target, $1!).  Because I had limited space, everything was chosen for a reason, and I love the items we chose to include.



6. Share info about the room in general, what is in there specifically, why you put things where you did, why you chose bright colors, etc. 
We had a hard time setting up the room.  My husband wanted the crib in another spot and I put my foot down (while he was at work and I moved the crib myself) and changed it.  Once he saw it all together, he agreed it was the right move.  The color was chosen because we wanted a subtle pink, and when the light is coming in the room it is a very comforting place.  

If we had had more time/energy/budget, we probably would have repainted the crib and changing table, but its just one of those things we couldn't get done, and I was fine with that.  I was working with a budget of basically nothing, trying to use what we had and buy only a few things.  

Of everything in the room, the only real cost was the bookends ($40) and some accessories, which amounted to about $80 total and that includes the paint and primer.  

Overall, it was such a joy to create a warm and welcoming space for our baby girl and I hope she grows to love her room and have the feeling that it is hers and she was meant to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment