share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Mom of the Month - Amy Fullerton

I am so excited to share this month's Mom of the Month, Amy Fullerton! 

Since I started featuring Mom of the Month on the blog a year ago she is the one mom I wanted to nominate (but of course I don't nominate people!), so when she was nominated a while ago I was so excited to feature her on here!

She seems to me like one of those down-to-earth, supportive, caring, nurturing moms who is always trying her best to keep her kids healthy and happy. She's playful and funny, and I think her kids are two of the luckiest ones in the world!

Thanks, Amy, for sharing your real, honest, simple answers. I love your ideas about parenting! 



All photos from Amy Fullerton


1. Describe your children in 3-5 words. 
Describe my kids....Sophia Rose.... sensitive, creative, empathetic
Holden Patrick.... energetic, loving, funny

2. When were your children born and where? 
Soph was born at York Hospital on December 19, 2006
Holden also born at York Hospital on October 26, 2008
How my kids are already 7 and 5 is a mystery to me.

3. How would you describe your pregnancies? 
My pregnancies....I feel like they were forever ago... For the most part I had relatively easy pregnancies, no morning sickness, no pain, super easy deliveries. But with Soph I was one of the lucky 1 out of 100 or so women to get the "pups" (cant even remember what that stands for) rash. It was torture...a rash that covers about 90% of your body, except your face, and does not go away until you have the baby...it came on early August and did not fully go away until January, a month after having her. I tried everything from oatmeal baths, to lathering in olive oil to acupuncture...I was bruised because I was scratching so much. But luckily you tend to only get it with your first pregnancy and my pregnancy with Holden was easy.

4. Describe yourself as a mom in 3-5 words.  
Describing me....hmmmm?? I would say I'm adventurous, patient, optimistic and a tad on the O.C.D. side



5. What type of mom do you hope your child thinks you were someday when he's old enough to tell you? 
I think that all parents hope that their kids will think of them as someone that they can always come to no matter what, so I don't know that I'm any different in that aspect. I want them to think of me as a friend (I will always be their parent first) but I want my kids to have the same kind of relationship with me as I do with my own mother. Someone to come to for advice, to share stories with, to know that no matter what they will always be loved and someone that they feel safe with. 

6. What things have you done as a mom that you're most proud of? 
Things that I've done that I'm most proud of as a mom..... I would say that I'm always trying to get my kids to try new things...to show them where things come from...

Sophie has her own bee keeping suit, extracting honey is something fun for her, Holden is all about tapping trees and boiling down the sap into syrup. I'm happy that they love being outside, not being afraid to get dirty. 

I'm proud that they have such amazing relationships with their grandparents and aunts and uncles, I'm proud that I/we (have to give my husband some credit there too) have instilled such a sense of family in them.



7. What have been the most difficult parts to being a mom?
I think there is a part of me that wants my kids to be perfect (as perfect as kids can be) using manners, sharing, cleaning up after themselves, no fighting....I think that trying to find the balance of being a good example vs. not being the overbearing psycho mom has been tricky. 

Learning to pick battles is another thing, especially as the kids get older....here I thought it would be easier the older they got.... wrong. Entering elementary school has brought home a whole new set of mannerisms and vocabulary that have never been used in our house before. 

It's difficult, but it's never bad....always a new challenge, but in the end you learn from it. Learning that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do something...that there is "your" way, what is best for you.



8. What is your favorite baby product(s) that makes your mom job easier? 
My kids are so far removed from the baby stage so I can't really remember any particular "product", but I'm going to say that they have each other. My kids are 22 months apart and they are each other's best entertainment. 

I'm probably the bah-humbug/anti technology mom who doesn't have a wii or kids don't have ipods and rarely do they get to use the ipad.... but they have their imaginations, sending them outside, giving them legos (new best thing they are into), they play barbie superheros, or princess Hulk, play store, make forts....they are what make my job as a mom easier.

9. What advice about being a mom would you give to a brand new mother? 
Advice for a brand new mom..... trust your gut. People can tell you what they think until their face turns blue, but you will know what is right for you and your baby. 



Also, it's ok to ask for help. I have always been very fortunate to be surrounded by a super support system of family and friends, and thank god for that....there are times that I feel I couldn't have done it without them.

10. What is a typical day like for you? 
Typical day...  I'm usually the first one up around 6:30. I have my first cup of coffee in quiet, watch a little news then start to get the kids up and ready around 7. Breakfast, dressed, a little playtime/tv time and out the door to drop Sophie off at school at 8:30...3 days a week I bring Holden to school for 9. Depending on the day (if Holden is at school) I will sometimes meet girlfriends for coffee, head out to run errands, home for laundry, cleaning, etc... I also try to volunteer in Soph's class a few times a month. If I have Holden with me, I try to plan a play date, or at least something relatively fun. 

3 days a week...Holden picked up at 12, home for lunch. Soph comes off the bus at 3:30....then depending on the day..there is swim, or girlscouts or dance. Homework, dinner, bath/shower and bed by 8. 



11. What 5 things would you like to do with your kids someday, if anything were possible and money no object? 
5 things to do if it were possible and $ wasn't an object.... oh I don't know, Holden wants to visit Mars, does that count? We would do that whole Disney experience, but my 'if possible part' would be no lines, perfect weather and no waiting months for reservations at certain places. I'd buy an island...a private tropical island, endless summer beach days. Full scholarships to any college they chose (if that was something they wanted to do) and I'd leave the last one up to them.



12. What are your favorite spring time activities to do with your kids? 
Favorite spring activities....after this winter ANYTHING outside. Parks, bike riding, getting the plants started for the garden. We like to walk down to harbor beach and seaglass hunt...we have a jar that the kids have been working on for about a year and they fill it with tiny pebble size pieces of seaglass...they ask everytime we drive by that beach when we can go look again.




13. Tell us a time where you felt like you failed at parenting... but then realized you truly had not failed, things worked out fine. 
It's not a huge one, but recent. Sophie got two cavities. I have always prided myself on the fact that I never had one until I was 32, even then I still made the dentist check multiple times just to be certain...so when Soph had 2 I was shocked. I had failed at the basic parenting task of making sure my kid brushed her teeth really well. We used to be right on top of it, then felt that she was doing such a good job we weren't in the bathroom with her when she did it anymore. FAIL. She got them filled..it was super $$$.... lesson learned...we are back on being in there with her. Is that a dumb one? I don't know...Dan thought it was dumb.

I can't really think of any particular "fail". I'm just a mom trying to figure it out as I go, I don't see myself doing any better or any worse that anyone else. We have good days and we have bad...just part of the journey.

14. Anything else you want to add?
I know people are always saying enjoy every minute because it goes by so fast...which is true, more true than I want to admit. Watching my two grow has been amazing, seeing the people that they are becoming is awesome. 

Becoming a mom was/is the greatest thing I have ever done, it's rewarding, exhausting, exciting, defeating and entertaining all rolled into one. You have to just go with it, have a sense of humor about it and enjoy it, because it's true, it goes by fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment