share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, February 1, 2014

rooms to grow - Crystal Dukes Tittle

This is SUCH an adorable little girl's baby room! I LOVE IT! Elephants are in lately (I'm trying to make my sister do elephant theme in her new baby's room soon!). I love the name on the wall, the darks and bright pinks. Such a fun theme.

And I've been wanting to do a curtain as a closet door in my kids' rooms... thanks for the ideas on how to do it!

Thank you, Crystal, beautiful room!


Photos from Crystal Dukes

1. What was your idea when you started making this baby room? What did you want it to look like? feel like? 
We did not have any ideas or even start thinking about the nursery until we found out the sex of our baby, a girl. 

I wanted a nursery and a room that was quiet and a little abode for our little girl. I didn't want a room full of clutter/toys. Something elegant but simple at the same time. 

I also wanted to pick a theme that was not too girly and that could grow with my daughter for a couple years. I wanted her to feel happy and safe in her room, especially when she got older. 


2. Where did you get your ideas, inspiration for your room?
Like I said, we did not start thinking of the nursery until we found out the sex of our baby. The day we found out I was so excited and was ready to start the nursery right away. 

The room was already brown and white with blue and brown accents. I love brown paired with colors, such as turquoise or pink so having the room already have brown in it helped focus our attention to browns and pinks. 

My husband and I sat and looked at hundreds of nursery ideas online and agreed to the elephant bedding we have in there now. It was just perfect and was the start of our ideas.


3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now? 
I love this room. I love the colors, the theme, the elephants and her name in the wall. 

I love the cloth closet doors and also her little reading nook. 

Most of the things in this room were handmade, hand painted or passed down from relatives. I just absolutely love it. 




4. What do you hope your child thinks of this room or could do in this room?
As I mentioned before I want her room to be a place she can go to to feel safe. To go to to get away from all the stresses of the world. She can play in there, read in there or do whatever. 

I did not want to clutter the room with a lot of toys because I wanted it to be somewhat of an elegant place. 


5. What are the best parts about this room and why did you choose to include those?
I love the cloth closet doors. My good friend's mother made them. Before they had these sliding doors that always came off the track. For safety reasons I wanted something else. The curtain doors really just make the room pop. 

I also like the elephant stencils on the wall. My sister cut those out of plastic and I used them to hand paint the elephant on the wall. 

I also like her name in the wall. This gives it a feeling that it is her room. These were also hand cut and painted. Lastly I like the little reading nook with the rocking chair and bookshelf. Many nights will be spent there. 




6. Share info about the room in general, what is in there specifically, why you put things where you did, why you chose bright colors, etc.
Since the room was already brown and white, which were also colors in the bedding, all I needed to do is bring in pinks. Every accent piece in the room had to be pink. 

Although I didn't want the room too girly it definitely looks that way because of all the pink accents but the theme itself is not overly girly. 

Since the room is so small and I did not want the room full of toys and clutter I had to get creative with storage ideas in the closet. 

Lastly, the little reading nook was one of my favorite ideas. This will be used every night. I cannot wait to sit with her on my lap as she gets a little older and read many a books to her. 

I love this room and am glad to share. Hope you like it too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment