share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, January 18, 2014

tidbits from Parents - February

I'm trying to read my Parents magazine when it comes in, because one, I love it and it's short to get through, and two, I'm sick of having a stack of magazines by my bed that the kids get into and I don't read until months later.

Hoping that putting it on the blog will make me read it in order to publish the tidbits I find in it that may be helpful to you.


Here are a few things I enjoyed from this issue:

Book I want to read:
All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood by Jennifer Senior. Sounds like a tell-it-all like it is type of book, and we all know I am a realist parent so I think this sounds like a good book.

Cute Valentine's Day ideas like making X and O pancakes or writing your child a love note!

Fun Fact: "Children who drank four or more carbonated beverages a day were twice as likely to destroy others' belongings and get into fights." Something about the synthetic food coloring affecting kids' behavior big time, also linked to hyper activity, as well as jittery behavior from caffeine. Soda = not good for kids! (page 45)

Great article on pacifier use, true and false statements about them, including taking care and washing them. Page 104, "Binky Basics." Some quick facts: Yes, it's true, use of pacifiers reduces risk of SIDS. Yet no, it's false that pacifiers cause dental issues. However, pacifiers can increase the risk of ear infections (for those who did not stop using them at age six months).



No comments:

Post a Comment