share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Friday, January 3, 2014

rooms to grow - Sarah Stearns

Another beautiful room in the new series, Rooms to Grow, we have Sarah Stearns' son Graham's vibrant yet adorably simple room. I want to go shopping at IKEA now to pick up that rocking chair and toy shelving unit! The special, personal touches in this room are what make it simple yet also magnificent in my eyes. The song lyrics... love it! Read on to hear more of Sarah's great ideas. Thanks, Sarah!


Photos from Sarah Stearns




1. What purpose does this room serve for your family? What do people do in here? 
Graham's room! He sleeps here, but it's ended up being one of my favorite rooms in the house so sometimes we just end up playing in his room, too.

2. What was the "before" in this room like? Why did you want to change it up? 
Before he was born, it was a boring guest room with all hand-me-down furniture and blah white walls. When we got pregnant, I was so excited to have an excuse to turn it into a vibrant, warm place.

3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now? 
I never took a before photo, but I wish I had because it was such a transformation to me. The colors and personal touches were symbolic to how our lives were changing with a baby on the way! 

We went shopping at IKEA when I was hugely pregnant and bought the shelving and rocker, but the crib is a gift from my parents, and the dresser was an old one from my husband's parents (that we painted white). 

I love how it's a mix of old and new in that way. I love the colors of the room - it's so bright and cheerful. I want to hang out here!


4. What do you hope your child thinks of his room or could do in this room? 

I really hope Graham just loves being in his room - that it's his space, his sanctuary. I also hope that he feels loved by the personal touches we put in there: particular family photos, song lyrics, gifts from friends and family.

5. What are the best parts about this room and why did you choose to include those? 
My favorite parts of the room are the pieces on the walls. We bought frames at IKEA for a wall collage. 

Now it has some of my favorite photos and the song lyric "How wonderful life is, now you're in the world" from Elton John's song "Your Song". We sing that lyric to him every night and now he sings along (in gibberish but it's cute!), and someday, I hope he feels how true that statement is! 


6. Share info about the room in general, what is in there specifically, why you put things where you did, why you chose bright colors, etc. 
I never had a plan for a theme for the room - I just chose the wall color first, and went with it. We didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, but I knew I wanted blue-gray just because I love the color. We wanted white furniture and that was pretty much the extent of the theme!

But at our baby shower, the theme was "Life is Good" and my sister got us the banner that we knew would go perfectly in the baby's room. It was orange, so we just went with that color scheme! It was just fun. I had a lot of fun spotting orange things when I was out shopping after that.

One piece of the room that was added later was a photo canvas I had made of my mother-in-law. She passed away this summer, and we have been committed to keeping her alive in Graham's eyes. We put this photo of her right above his crib so he sees her all the time. 

We say goodnight and good morning to Grammie, and it's comforting to us. There are moments where we are reading bed time stories, and I look up at the photo, and it really feels like she is with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment