share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, January 4, 2014

rooms to grow - Melisa Gilbert

Such a sweet, thoughtful baby room little Mason has, made by his parents, especially mama Melissa Gilbert. It reminds me of Jillian Brooks' son's room with woodland creatures in it and the paintings, these two could be buddies yet live in different states. See how connected we all are, mamas?!

And just like Sarah Stearns' son's room, with a photo of Grammie who passed away, Melissa also has features in the room that remind her of family members they have lost. I love this idea of keeping those people involved with the new baby by incorporating something from or about them in the room.

I LOVE Melissa's inspiration for the room... wanting to have a serene, calm, sacred place where she could go to calm her new mom nerves down. What a great idea for a starting point when planning a room.... the FEELING you want to have when in there. Great idea!

Enjoy, and thanks so much, Melissa!


1. What was your idea when you started making this baby room? What did you want it to look like? feel like? 

I wanted something serene. I knew I would be a nervous new mom and I wanted a place that we could close the door and just be together. Even before Mason was born, I used to sit in his room during overwhelming moments and it would calm me down to think about our future.


2. Where did you get your ideas, inspiration for your room? 

I found the idea for the tree on Pinterest (what did we ever do without Pinterest?!?). 

I found this adorable Lambs and Ivy bedding that had baby woodland animals on it and it all just tied together. It was the only thing we paid full price for. All of the other furniture was given to us by friends done having babies or bought secondhand. 

3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now? 
I love that my husband and I both combined our ideas into this room. It was a 50 / 50 effort. There are little pieces of us throughout it. 

4. What do you hope your child thinks of his room or could do in this room? 

I hope it encourages him to be creative. Painting centers me so I hope the same for him. 

I'm already excited to makeover his room again in the upcoming years (and plenty of Pinterest pins to prove it!) and I look forward to him being beside me in the process.


5. What are the best parts about this room and why did you choose to include those? 

The room has pieces of my husband and my childhood in it. We both lost our moms before Mason was born so it means a lot to have pieces of them in the room. 

There is a ceramic Hulk on the book shelf that Mike's Mom painted when he was a kid that was supposed to protect him and now it protects Mason. 

There is also an angel hung over the door that hung in my nursery. Before that, it hung in my Mom's bedroom. 

Another favorite piece is the wooden rocking horse. My parents picked it up years ago on one of their road trips and it was always displayed in their house. When Mason was born, my Dad gave it to us.



6. Share info about the room in general, what is in there specifically, why you put things where you did, why you chose bright colors, etc. 
We don't do blankets in the crib so I used the quilt as a wall hanging instead. Then I took the birds from the hanging and painted them in the tree branches (truthfully it was the only thing I could pull off painting!). 

I stuck to calm and light colors since the room is so small. These pictures were taken pre-toddler so there's a bit more toys and books scattered everywhere. To make room for everything we've accumulated, I now use the changing table as a place to store more toys. It holds a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment