share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, January 4, 2014

rooms to grow - Heather Steinback - big girl room

I am SO happy to feature my very good friend, Heather, on the blog... she's the reason I started this blog a few years ago, after all! (If you don't know the story, check it out here... http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2011/05/gift-that-keeps-on-giving.html )

Heather is one of the most stylish, savvy shopping people I know. She gets jealous of my yard sale deals that I find - we used to go yard sale-ing on Saturdays together back in high school! But I'm SO envious of her style. I could never decorate this nicely! LOVE it.

I'll be featuring Heather twice, as she's preparing for baby #2 so she's also re-done their play room in the process.

This is her daughter Selah's Big Girl bedroom, getting ready for her sister to arrive soon! I ADORE all the little details and the best thing about this room are the DEALS she scored getting them! Look below to realize that yes, you could have a cute room like this, too, it's affordable if you are patient and willing to look for fun things.

THANKS, Heather! Love it!



Photos from Heather Steinback


  1. What purpose does this room serve for your family? What do people do in here? 
    My daughter’s “big girl room” (2 yr old) – in the process of completing, so this is just the initial phase of setting up before her baby sister’s arrival in a couple months.

  2. What was the "before" in this room like? Why did you want to change it up?
    This was our guest room prior, which we moved to our “extra room”. So, we started with a blank canvas. 

    I wanted to do something sophisticated and yet whimsical for my daughters big girl room. Something childlike, but something which would also “grow with her” in time, so I would have several years out of it.



  3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now? 
    The overall aspect which we are “proud of” in this room, is it was really our version of “design on a dime”. We decided about 6 months ago on color scheme and a plan…and that gave us time to slowly collect sale items, close out deals, etc. in order to make this room as cheap as possible. Again, in the initial stages, so we don't even have the bed yet - on order... (but I did include a pic from the website for those looking for affordable modern cribs).

  4. What do you hope your child thinks of his room or could do in this room?

    I hope my daughter finds this room peaceful yet fun. One reason I chose the color scheme I did, was because I found it fun yet peaceful environment not only for play, reading but also rest…





  5. What are the best parts about this room and why did you choose to include those?

    My favorite part of the room is the Pottery Barn Chandelier. I wanted something super girly yet classy and I felt this was the piece tying it all together. The best part was I had a gif card from my wedding five years ago I never used…waiting for the perfect thing! So, it didn’t even cost us a dime!



  6. Share info about the room in general, what is in there specifically, why you put things where you did, why you chose bright colors, etc.
    1. Curtains – I wanted grey chevron curtains desperately. However, I searched for months online, catalogs, close out stores, you name it – everything was in the hundreds of dollar range. I showed my husband what I wanted and told him to keep an eye out. He was in the mall at the apple store and saw this “Shower Curtain” hanging in the West Elm display window. The clerk was taking it down, originally 20.00, last one in the store and they sold it to him for 10! He was convinced he could find a way to hang it despite the fact it was not a real curtain…
    2. Furniture – White pieces: hemnes series from Ikea. Some of the cheapest yet sturdiest well-made we could find. The grey crib has been ordered from Walmart – the “mod” series – a great secret, it is a great modern crib line sold only at Walmart for reasonable prices. We have the white one currently and will keep for baby two. It makes a great toddler bed as well. Great option for those of us wanting modern baby cribs and don’t want to pay 800 or more…
    3. D├ęcor – Light switch plaque / prints on wall / chevron hooks – all in the clearance aisle at hobby lobby, just got lucky finding the color and design we wanted. About 30.00 for all on dirt cheap sale!
    4. Tree Decal – I looked for about two years for a white tree that I could afford. Found tons on Pinterest I loved, but could not afford. Happened to find this slightly smaller one for 20 at Target. You do have to put it up in portions and if you look close, you will see the break lines. I have seen Pinterest ones in person that look flawless. However, for 20 this does the job.
    5. Lamp – Spray painted an ugly lamp from yard sale. Have a matching vintage mirror (from Ikea, dirt cheap) to spray paint and hang above dresser as well.
    6. Chevron Crib Sheets – Again, searched months for these. Only found some at Land of Nod but already had her infant set from there and couldn’t justify spending the money again. Walked into Target recently, found Circo chevron yellow and grey crib sheets for 20 total. Again, just the right timing..
    7. Chandelier – Pottery Barn
    8. Paint – Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment