share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Friday, January 3, 2014

rooms to grow - Gretchen Hansen

I'm pretty excited about this new series on the blog this month... Rooms to Grow! 

Thanks to my sister, Amanda McCarty, who is recently undergoing some renovations in her home to prepare a nursery for a baby girl coming in March, this idea just came to me. While searching Etsy and local stores for cute wall hangings for her baby shower gift for the baby's room, I thought, hey, we should see MORE rooms on the Mommy Stories!

I will be featuring super adorable, Etsy-inspired, Pinterest-crafted, and just plain creative nurseries. This series will also showcase some awesomely smart and organized toy rooms and big kid bedrooms. It's always fun to take a sneak peek into other moms lives.

My hope for this series is for the moms who created these rooms to show off their talents, feel some pride in what they did (who else would appreciate a mom's hard work preparing a nursery but other mommas?!), as well as for fellow parents to gather new ideas to make their children's rooms the sweet, comfortable, fun places they want them to be.

Enjoy!

If YOU have a cool room to show off, PLEASE email me at themommystories@gmail.com!


Photos from Gretchen Hansen, unless noted

 This photo from Angela Avery

Thanks to Gretchen Hansen for being our first momma to show off her adorable daughter Georgiana's bedroom! Georgiana is 6 months old, so sweet.... just perfect for a creative room like this. Love this room, especially the sweet, cultured touches her mama put in place. The little pictures on the wall above her crib... my favorite. Read on to find out why! :) 

1. What was your idea when you started making this baby room? What did you want it to look like? feel like?
The main thing I knew I wanted when I first started planning the nursery was for it to be  neutral.  We didn't find out what we were having, so I really wanted to make sure it would work for both.  This was a struggle because I found that almost everything leaned one way or the other.  I must have changed my mind ten times as far as the color/theme went.  I finally decided on the tan color with teal, light green and white accents because it really felt neutral to me.  Then I added the elephant theme because of a gift I received from my parents (the stone elephant on the shelf).  

I wanted the room to feel warm, cozy, comforting, and welcoming, and I think I achieved that. 

2. Where did you get your ideas, inspiration for your room?For inspiration, I did a million Google image searches. I looked on Pinterest. I tried basing the theme off of the bedding set I would choose for my registry - changed my mind on that like a million times as well.  

I ended up just creating my own theme. I can't remember exactly how I came up with it, but I remember getting these frames on sale at Target in teal and white and that lead to picking out the fabric for the curtains.  I found the matching lamp at Target as well; I couldn't believe how perfectly it fit! I added a few elephant touches to pull it all together.  

3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now?
I think I'm most excited about the fact that the room started out with layers upon layers of old wall paper covered in this awful green paint, and ended up looking the way it does now.  

My husband and I spent many hours while I was pregnant scraping and sanding and painting to make a beautiful space for our baby.  When we were finished, we just couldn't believe the transformation.



4. What do you hope your child thinks of his room or could do in this room?
I imagine she loves it!  She stares in awe up at the ceiling fan (who would have thought?!) She loves laying on her changing table; it almost always brings out her best side.  That must be a sign of some sort.  We plan on having another baby in the near future, so when that happens she will be moved to another room.  I'm guessing since she will be so young she won't remember her nursery much, which is why I've taken lots of pictures!


5. What are the best parts about this room and why did you choose to include those?
One of the things I love most about the room is that so many things in it were made by someone in my family.  

My mom made the curtains, I made the elephant paintings, her great-grandmother made the quilt draped over her crib, her other great-grandmother who died before I was born made the little paintings that are hung over her crib in the 1950s, the banner over the closet and framed picture near the rocking chair were made by my dear friend Chelsea for her baby shower.  Those are all one of a kind things that I hope she cherishes and appreciates someday when she is older.  



6. Share info about the room in general, what is in there specifically, why you put things where you did, why you chose bright colors, etc. 
We had a little bit of a difficult time with the placement of the crib in the room because it is so small.  Once we found its home though, every thing else just fell into place.  

I wanted her changing table near the window so she could look out at the trees.  The glider is closest to the door connecting to our room so that my husband could hear us every time I got up (kidding... sort of :) 

The little nightstand with the lamp was strategically placed so I could turn on the switch as I entered the room and the lamp would come on.  I realized quickly that a lamp is just wayyy to much light for the middle of the night, and have since resorted to changing diapers via the light from the video monitor.  

I just sort of pictured everything else in my mind and that's where things ended up.  The pictures over the crib are just as I always imagined them to be, ever since I found them.  I had the most trouble with the closet because we couldn't afford a large dresser so I ended up using an old barn box from my parents house and one of those smaller two drawer things you end up having a fight over while you're trying to put it together.  I'm not completely satisfied with my organization, but that will come with time :)

This photo from Angela Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment