share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Monday, January 6, 2014

rooms to grow - Beth Wallace

Thank you to my dear friend, Beth, for sharing both her firstborn's big kid room, and her second, beautiful daughter's nursery. LOVE how simple, yet dreamy and peaceful these two rooms are. 

I also like the reality of these rooms, living in a smaller house, trying to fit it all in (guest bed in the big kid's room and computer desk in the baby's room). Making it work is what family and the house is all about. 

Thank you, Beth! Tell your hubby he did a great job on the trees. 
:) 

P.S. Beth takes amazing photos, in case you're in the market! (link below)

All photos from Beth Wallace of Beth Wallace Photography, Massachusetts 
www.bethwallacephotography.com

1. Which room is this? What purpose does this room serve for your family? What do people do in here?  
This is Holden's room. Our house is small, so it also serves as the guest room. When we had the opportunity to buy him a big boy bed, I knew I'd want to skip the toddler bed, so then I figured...why not go for a full and have a place for grandparents to sleep? We honestly don't do much in here because it's upstairs, and we spend most of our time at home in the living room. We read books and this is where our son (almost 3!) sleeps.

2. What was the "before" in this room like? Why did you want to change it up? 
Urg. When we moved in, it was a dusty pink. I hated being in this room. I'm not sure why we chose blue, but I love it. I didn't like the hand me down rug until we painted. Now it looks like grass!

3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now? 
I am always proud of the stencils. They were a lot of work for my husband to paint. We did this 2-3 months after we moved in, and Holden and I were away for a week. I think the trees were really difficult for my husband to do, but he did them. 

I'm always so amazed. When we're rocking Holden at bedtime, we have a star constellation (the green froggy) going, and it's magical...The trees, the stars, the birds...



4. Describe the room, why you chose things, why you put them there, etc. 
I think we were pinterest inspired. I remember us picking out the stencils 2 years ago. I wanted something he could grow into.

5. What are the best parts about this room and why did you choose to include those? 

Besides the trees/birds, I love the canvas I recently put up on the dresser. It reminds me of when he was born, and the picture of the three of us in the hospital. I treasure that.

6. Anything else? 
I also really love having a good library for him. My husband is a minimalist, but agrees, you can never have too many books! 




1. Which room is this? What purpose does this room serve for your family? What do people do in here? 
This is our infant daughter's room...and my office. It began as my office, but we are a three bedroom house. She's still in a bassinet by the side of my bed, but eventually, she'll sleep in here. I didn't take a picture of my computer...but that's okay. ;) 


2. What was the "before" in this room like? Why did you want to change it up?
It was this color when we moved in and I loved it. It's the only room in the house that looks to the back of our house (except for the bathroom). It has the best view of the conservation land behind our house.

3. What are you excited about / proud of with this room now? 
The three main pieces in the room...The canvas I had hanging in a shop downtown (I'm a photographer), and I just got the idea to hang it on an existing nail in the wall. I love how feminine it is, and it's one of my favorite nature photos. 

The mobile beside it is from my blessing way. My friends all brought an object from the natural world and gave me a "blessing" for childbirth and mothering two babies when I was hugely pregnant. 

The third piece is my belly cast/picture of my grandfather and me. His name was Laurel. My mom's is Laurie (after him). My middle name is Laurel, and our baby girls' name is Laurel. I wanted to have some piece of him in here, this is a start. I also had a really fun time with the belly cast. My son helped! It was a really nice memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment