share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

MOM 2014 Resolutions - part 3

The third part of this three-part series, where I've asked the Moms of the Month from 2013 to reflect on their year, and set up some 2014 resolutions, offer advice to you fellow mommas doing the same. I've truly enjoyed reading these. I hope you do, too. Thanks again to the moms who helped me out with this project!

HAPPY 2014! May it be as amazing as each of you are.


JESSICA WHITMORE - November 2013 
http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2013/11/mom-of-month-jessica-whitmore.html

1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2013? 
I learned that my children will be who they are, no matter what. It is fun to raise them and teach them and show them the ropes, but at the end of the day their personality is there, and that you cannot change. 

I was lucky with my first child, Kylee, she has always been a great kid. My 2nd daughter, Brynn, however, gives us a run for our money. She is in the terrible twos, but the fact that my oldest was NOTHING like this, it gets pretty troubling. My husband jokes (really, kind of seriously) that my 2 year old is going to get kicked out of daycare because every week she comes home with a naughty report, from being a bad listener to actually being physical. In the next instant though, she will be the cutest sweetest little cuddler and you think- how can she be so cute one minute, and throwing Kylee's porcelain piggy bank off the bureau the next minute? Unreal. It just goes to show that your kids will all be so different. My first was nothing like this. They are complete opposites in a lot of aspects. 

You just take your precious little ones for who they are, and every day and every situation is different. No two are alike! But that is what makes parenting fun... and crazy.

2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year? 
I wan to see more money and less working. Haha. But seriously. I have worked two jobs for the past however many years, easily anywhere from 40-70 hours a week at any given time, and I think I just need to call it quits! One job should suffice, and if it doesn't, we just need to cut back somewhere. I need to work on this, but I am quite obsessed with working and making money and providing a life for my kids and reaching goals, that I just haven't quit the second job yet. But I need to get there. This year. It is important to my family. 

3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2014? 
Healthy, Adventurous, Prosperous
  
4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now... going into 2014?

I have never been much for resolutions. I think overall I just want to focus on raising my beautiful little daughters, making family memories, and keeping up the hard work we do, every day. 

I do not think I will change much about being a mom... you live and learn every day. I think the biggest change will be that we are... expecting our THIRD baby in July!!!!! 

5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you?
This is something I need to work on as well. It is hard to put "me" time first when all your hours in a day are used up on everything else. What works for me is planning FAR in advance. I need to make sure I am not working, I need to make sure hubby is all set with the girls, not working either, or we have a sitter. We are so busy it literally needs to be planned so it is set in stone. Whether it is planning a date night or getting together with friends. One week and even two week notice is still hard, when you work 6 days a week. If it is planned enough in advance, and on the calendar, then it will get done. I need to do more of that this year, especially with friends. Plan and commit.



Photos shared with rights by Heather Steinback, 
Photos taken by Sarah Beth Images, Indiana


HEATHER STEINBACK - December 2012

http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2012/12/mom-of-month-heather-steinback.html


1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2013? 
There's always something to worry and fear as a mom, the battle is overcoming the fear daily. 

This was my second year as a Mom...the first was filled with fear battling my daughter's health issues. But, this year I realized with less health issues, there are still things to fear: am I screwing my kid up? Do they eat enough? Not enough veggies? Not talking enough, not walking fast enough, not peeing on potty, not drinking enough...the list goes on.

My greatest mom revelation in 2013: there's always a level of fear presenting itself and the sooner we learn to overcome it...the more we will enjoy it.
2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year? 
More: lightheartedness (if that's a word!) Less: Anxiety
3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2014? 
Productive Carefree Memorable
4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now... going into 2014?
I'm expecting my second in 2014 and I have made many resolutions for this one: I'm not going to worry about what others think of me as I parent, not going to stress about the fact I may not be able to BF.

I'm not going to second guess my parenting decisions, and will have confidence in the choices I make. I'm not going to beat myself up or compare myself to the "moms who do it all.." - I'm going to find comfort in the fact that my child has love, basic needs and a mothers best intentions for her. This will be my greatest resolution in 2014.

5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you?
My advice is perspective. Keep it all in perspective. Keep what's important at the top of your list. Life is too short. When my life spins out of control, I try to put in perspective "...in the long scheme of things...will stressing over this matter?" 

Having health and family and being blessed with the gift of life and children outweigh the daily stresses of babysitter schedules, how to preheat a bottle, BF or not, potty training, the list goes on...that person who said "don't sweat the small stuff.." As cliche as it is and cheesy as it is - they were right....



No comments:

Post a Comment