share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

MOM 2014 Resolutions - part 2

Part two of the Moms of the Month New Year's Resolutions and advice for gaining more ME time! Enjoy! I am so loving reading these responses, especially the words the moms want to describe their 2014. Which words would you choose?!

Photo from Jillian Brooks

JILLIAN (CAVANAUGH) BROOKS - Mom of the Month March 2013
http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2013/03/mom-of-month-jillian-cavanaugh.html

1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2013? 
In 2013 I really learned how fast my baby is changing. So many big things happened this year it's amazing. We weaned breastfeeding at 26 mos, he stood at our wedding, he speaks in almost complete sentences now, singing songs (even memorizing from the radio) it's seriously amazing.

2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year? 
In 2014 I want more family time. My husband and I have sort of opposite schedules which leaves us 1 day a week as an entire family day. I want to take advantage of our time like that more and plan fun things. I also want more money in my life, obviously haha. I would love less waking super early 2014, which equals less exhaustion...we are getting there. Lol
3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2014? 
I would love my 2014 words to be: pregnant, exciting, healthy
4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now… going into 2014?
My resolutions are to put more effort into healthy eating in our house, and of course exercise. Another is to get Max potty trained haha. 

I dont want to really change anything in how I'm mothering at the moment. Sure a little more patience here and there but I think I'm doing ok. 
5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you?
For me time I can do it guilt free by putting Max to bed myself and then going out to meet a gf. Or at least doing bathtime. I'd love to try and do more pedis and massages for me this coming year. 

I think it's important to have time for yourself to regain those mama juices for sure. I think for each person that means something different, and however it works for you, you should do it.


Photo shared with rights by Shelby Davis,
Photo taken by Kayleigh Barrett, of York, Maine, Photography by Kay

SHELBY DAVIS - Mom of the Month August 2013
http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2013/08/mom-of-month-shelby-davis.html

1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2013? 
That I can find joy in even the worst moments of meltdowns, disgusting diapers, sickness, throwing food, and getting hit in the face.  

I have the sweetest boy 99% of the time and just having him, healthy and happy makes all the hard moments so much easier to handle. Seeing friends struggle with infertility and sick children makes the tantrums that I have to deal with a piece of cake.
2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year? I want more alone time with my husband where we can actually talk to each other. I want more kind and happy people to interact with - at the grocery store, on the roads, on Facebook. I want more sleep! But I also want one more baby : ) Probably not in the coming year, but would like to get working on it. I want zero drama. I already have very little of it, but when it appears, it drains me completely. I want people to complain less. I want less bills! I want less calories too, haha.
3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2014? Happy and healthy because those are always the most important things to me. And adventurous, I want us to branch out and do new things.
4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now… going into 2014?
My #1 resolution: I want to put down my phone completely when I'm spending one on one time with my son. I've gotten better, but I need to get rid of it completely. It doesn't matter what other people are doing, it matters what is happening in front of me. 
As far as things that will stay the same or change, I will continue to keep the TV off as much as possible and limit electronics exposure. I'll continue making family dinners and hope to find some new yummy recipes. I'll continue being crazy and fun for my son. I'll continue making sure to pay attention to the little moments, and we'll continue to be on the go, doing fun activities and living life to the fullest.  

The only thing I will change is how much I have my phone on me, replying to texts, to emails, taking calls and checking FB. I'll do it when my son is sleeping, like I am now, but when he's awake, he needs my full attention. The only other thing I'll change is taking more videos. We have so many photos and I want to video more of our lives to watch it back later.
5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you? My husband and I are very good about "Me time". I get my girls nights, he gets his guy camping trips. I think for moms that feel guilty leaving or like they "just can't find time", that what works for me a lot is making dinner and leaving my husband and son to eat and do the bedtime routine together. Or I'll sneak out on a Sunday afternoon for a pedicure just to get away. I think that the excuse "I can't find the time" really means you don't want to find the time. I know moms with 4 kids who can make time for themselves, and it's because they make it a priority. If you make it a priority, it'll happen. You'll be a better mom for taking time to yourself sometimes.

Photos from Gretchen Carlson 



GRETCHEN CARLSON - Mom of the Month April 2013
http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2013/04/mom-of-month-gretchen-carlson.html

1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2013?
I learned to let go just a little more, and to stand up for the choices that I feel are important for our family whether they’re normal or not.

2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year?
Less stuff and more time playing music and doing activities together.  As my kids get older I’m embracing their growing roles within the family.

3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2014?
Fun, productive, creative

4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now... going into 2014?
I have all kinds of resolutions this year.  I want to get a little more prepared this year.  Since I’m now homeschooling my kids, I am finding it more and more challenging to stay ahead. 

I’m also hoping to continue pursuing my own interests outside of parenting.  I am more than a mom and a wife and nurturing those interests in my life makes me a better parent.

5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you?
I think truly knowing how much time you need is a great place to start, and then keeping an open conversation with your spouse, or other family is important. 

Also knowing what is ME time.  For me sometimes going to the store is enough, sometimes 5 minutes in the other room is enough, and sometimes I need a whole day off.  Know what you need so it is easier to ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment