share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

MOM 2014 Resolutions - part 1

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I am SO excited to share this blog post with you all! I thought of this idea randomly on a long car ride home from New York this past weekend... I wanted to hear from the mothers who were nominated this past year in 2013 as Moms of the Month (MOM). I wanted to see what they were up to now, and what words of wisdom they may want to share with the rest of you.

So I asked them a few simple questions about their resolutions for the coming year. Hope you enjoy this! Parts 2 and 3 coming later!

THANK YOU to the moms who responded to my very last minute request to participate in this post. You all were nominated for a reason - you simply are AWESOME.



Photos from Courtney Drew 



COURTNEY DREW 
Mom of the Month December 2013 
http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2013/12/mom-of-month-courtney-drew.html

1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2013? 
It's not about being the fanciest, most creative, most fun, most energetic Mom. It's about being the best mom I can be to my kids in that very moment.

2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year? More getting along! Less whining!
3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2014? Healthy, happy, family
4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now... going into 2014? In 2014 I want to yell less. I want to find ways to communicate with my children so I don't get pushed to the boiling point. I have begun doing a few new things this past month that have been successful. I want to continue to enhance those ideas and be able to enjoy a more loving family.
5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you? I suggest planning a once a month girls night with a group of friends. Plan the date, time and place a month in advance and stick to it. I have been doing this for nine years with a fantastic group of ladies and it really does make a difference having that one dinner with all grown up talk!

Photo shared with rights by Robyn Estes, 
photo taken by Kayleigh Barrett, York, Maine, Photography by Kay

ROBYN ESTES
Mom of the Month June 2013
http://themommystories-friends.blogspot.com/2013/06/mom-of-month-robyn-estes.html

1. What did you learn about motherhood in 2013?
That I don’t “got this” and that it gets harder as they get older. Having a new baby and an 8 year old I’ve realized the huge difference between the two. 

When they’re babies/toddlers you’re really only taking care of them --aside from any other major complications. Yes, you’re exhausted, worried what’s wrong when they can’t tell you, wondering when to start solids and when to take the bottle away, you’re teaching them to be gentle, don’t hit or push, be nice, how to sing their ABC’s, but when they start getting older you have to RAISE them. I didn’t realize the difference between the two until I was living both. 

As they get older you have to try to guide them through the parts of life that start getting sticky. You have to listen to what they say and try to make molehills out of their mountains without dismissing their feelings. Try to help them figure it out without doing it for them when life throws them something that sucks. With wide eyes watching me so intently, waiting for me to lead her I feel like every word out of my mouth could be the deciding factor on how the rest of her life goes, especially when she’s pushing my buttons, because of how she perceives things and is affected by the things I say and by my actions. And when I lose it and say something I shouldn’t have, I feel like a complete failure and think things like, is she going to freak out on her kids like this now too?? What am I doing to her? Ugh. 

She’s a good kid so I must be doing something right in there somewhere but that saying, “Behind every great kid is a mom who’s pretty sure she’s screwing it up”….sing it to me, sister. That’s how I feel every day. The sicknesses and refereeing I can handle. The deeper parts and trying to raise a responsible, kind, yet strong human being, I’m scared to death of. Maybe it will be different with my boys when they get to this place but for my daughter, I worry more now than I ever have before….bring on the gray hair and wrinkles.
2. What do you want to see more and less of in your life this new year?
Sap alert but I want more of the same from 2013. We added our new little man to our bunch and if we thought we were happy before he came…words can’t describe how in love we are with him and how happy we are now. We’re all completely obsessed with him. He was the missing piece we didn’t know we were missing and we’re all better for him. And I want more of the great fun we’ve had filling our time with friends - having lots of great people in our lives is such a gift. The only thing I’d like less of is to be tired!!
3. Which 3 words do you want to describe your 2014?
Awake, attentive, happy.
4. What resolutions will you make this year, what will you keep doing and what will you change about the type of mom you are now... going into 2014?

No resolutions, what’s the point? We will keep doing what we’re doing because for us, it’s working and all I can say is that I’m just going to keep trying to be the mom I am but better. As terrified as I am that I’m going to screw them up, I can only be me so I’m going to keep being me as best as I can, and always just try to do it better that I have been.

5. Advice for moms trying to put more ME time into their mommy days this new year, or on keeping their resolutions? What works for you?
ME time is nice and greatly needed sometimes but the fact of the matter is, we don’t get much of it. Personally, I don’t even make it a priority - it would just drive me even more nuts because I wouldn’t be getting it. I do go out without them once in a blue moon if my husband is home but otherwise I don’t feel right asking my mom or MIL to watch them when they both work hard and are tired too, unless I absolutely need the help because I have something to do that I just can’t bring them with me for. 
In other words, I haven't had a pedicure since February 11th, the Monday before my son was born. So to keep my sanity I view it as they’re my kids so one or all of them are with me pretty much 24/7 - it’s just how it is for me - I can't think about any lack of ME time. Yes, there are many times when I’m ready to run away to a tropical island and need a break but I get over it and get on with my day. I put the little dude in his high chair with a snack, send the kids packing to their rooms if they're not at school, check out to the other room for 5, check FB or whatever, recharge and go back at it. 
Hubby will eventually come home and help out, and when they go to bed I get to vegg out and have a glass of wine. We go out with other couples occasionally and get a sitter and that's about it. Generally we always have them with us, and that's okay with us.

Happy New Year, ladies! 
I hope it’s a good one for all!



No comments:

Post a Comment