share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, December 22, 2013

tidbits from Parents - December

I love the Parents magazine. I'm sure you have seen it or even get it in the mail. However, it takes me forever to actually sit and read it! So... my goal this next year is to read them on time and review it, find any fun things inside that you may benefit from knowing. My hope is that I can help even just one busy mama feel like she actually read this magazine (and of course selfishly, if I read them on time, then I won't have a pile next to my bed that my toddler continues to try to get into... but that's another blog post!).

If you don't yet have a subscription to Parents magazine, you should! Great info for all ages. And honestly it takes less than a half hour to read it.


A few fun things I found in the DECEMBER 2013 issue:

Cool recipes:
Peanut Butter-Oatmelal Trees - YUMMY. These looked so cute!
and Melted Snowman Cookies - very cute, with marshmallows on top and frosting. Great ideas for cookie swaps with the kids. Google the recipes!

Books!
Dot Complicated - Changing Our Wired Lives by Randi Zuckerberg (Mark's sister) wrote about being a busy mom and unplugging, how to balance life with technology. Sounds interest.

She also write a children's book about kids learning to do the same, like putting down the technology and playing outside. Dot. is the name of that book, could be a great gift!

Another book that sounds interesting: Generation Text: Raising Well-Adjusted Kids in a World of Instant Everything by Michael Osit, Ed. D., psychologist. 

And another I want to read... The Mommy Diaries: How I'm Surviving Parenthood Without Killing Anyone by Dallas Louis.

Game
This sounds like fun for 3 years old or up- Memo Yoga game. It's a memory type game with yoga positions. upsidedowngames.us is where you can find it for $10.


Formula helping nursing?
They quoted a study from University of California, San Francisco, that found "feeding newborns who seemed to be losing too much of their birthweight very small amounts of formula (about 1/3 ounce) for the first two or three days of life may prolong breastfeeding." Interesting!

Great article on sleep and second babies!
I'll be using that in another blog post. Stay tuned... or read the article in Parents magazine December issue now!

Advice for working with attitudes in kids
Disengage! Don't respond to the tantrum or negative behavior. Talk calmly, "You know how to talk to me if you want me to listen...when you're ready, I'll be in the kitchen..." Turn away. I like what Dr. Kennedy-Moore said, When you overexplain or argue, you give a child's words far more importance than they should have."


Awesome idea!
AStoryBeforeBed.com is an online site where you can have people or yourself record a story for a child to hear.

Worry Wart
Great article about not worrying so much as a new mom... let some of it go!










No comments:

Post a Comment