share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mom of the Month - Gretchen Carlson!

What a very cool and super fun loving mom Gretchen seems to be! 
Living in New York with her 3 children, husband and a farm of animals, she's outdoors a lot and keeps a very cool blog (link below). Read on for some words of wisdom from this very cool mom. The person who nominated Gretchen for Mom of the Month told me she's got it all together, she does everything and it appears as though it's with ease  - and she's always happy!

Thanks, Gretchen, for sharing your life with us!

**************************************************************

1. Describe your children in 3-5 words.
Hadley – free, happy, creative
Finley – intense, goofy, musical
Freja – silly, stubborn, sweet

(All photos are from Gretchen Carlson)


2. When were your children born and where?
My twins were born in North Carolina in 2008 and will be turning 5 this year.  My youngest daughter was born in Upstate NY in 2011. 

3. How would you describe your pregnancies?
Since my first pregnancy was with multiples, I was HUGE.  While I did experience some increased discomfort with the size and other pregnancy related aches, I did not have any of the troubles that sometimes come with a higher risk pregnancy.  I was prepared for an early labor, bed rest and host of other difficulties, and instead I made it to 38.5 weeks with no real issues (although at the end I was begging for those babies to be born).

With my second pregnancy I was so distracted by parenting the twins that I was less aware of the day to day thoughts of being pregnant.  While I was nostalgic from time to time about being pregnant, I much prefer being a mom to being pregnant.

4. Describe yourself as a mom in 3-5 words.
Creative, flexible, relaxed

5. What type of mom do you hope your children think you were someday when they are old enough to tell you?
Oh gosh.  I truly hope my children are able to look back and think of their mom as someone who listened to them, respected them and knew enough to be a little silly sometimes.  Wouldn’t it just be wonderful if they forgot all those times when you were tired and stressed and had just completely given up on keeping the house clean!?

6. What things have you done as a mom that you're most proud of?
I’m proud of creating an environment for my children where they have the freedom to learn and express themselves.  My children are all independent and curious about the world around them.



7. What have been the most difficult parts to being a mom?
I find it difficult to adjust to the sometimes drastically different personalities of my children and help them to find ways to treat each other kindly despite those differences.  As a mom I want my children’s relationships with each other to carry them and even though they can be incredibly sweet at times, I find it difficult to deal with sibling disagreements.  When the twins were young, I would probably have said lack of sleep or a whole list of things, but I find that the relationships are truly the most important part for me.

8. What is your favorite baby product(s) that makes your mom job easier?
Any type of baby carrier.  I don’t know what I would have done without my hands free while still holding and caring for a baby.  I especially loved my Ergo.

9. What advice about being a mom would you give to a brand new mother?
My biggest advice is to just wait a few days.  Especially when the children are young, the concerns over sleeping, and eating, and habits, and pacifiers, and going potty, and all the rest will so often sort themselves out.  I always came up with the action plans and ideas on how to solve the newest problem, when really all I needed to do was sit tight and enjoy the now, because that stage will be over soon.



10. What is a typical day like for you?
Most of our days tend to be spent quietly.  We spend most of our time outside when the weather allows.  Our family is actively involved in backyard farming and we spend lots of time together in the garden and taking care of our chickens, goats, rabbits, and dog.  While I believe in allowing my children to choose their activities, learning, and play, I believe that children should help in the home.  My older children help with everything from sweeping and dishes to baking and I find the rhythm soothing for all of us.  We often spend a large chunk of our day involved in some craft or large creative play, and of course reserve time for baseball and bike riding.  Each day after lunch, my older children take a quiet time in separate rooms while the little one naps, and I get a few minutes to catch up.  In the afternoons we often do something out of the home: playdates, grocery store, dance class, etc.  Dinner is eaten as a family with bed time at 7 and just a few hours for me and my husband to unwind before we go to bed and start over the next day.

To follow more about Gretchen's adventurous life check out her own blog at :
http://www.simplejoyfulliving.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment