share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Friday, July 13, 2012

step to it - week 1

This will be a 10-part series on how I stepped back into shape post-pregnancy and delivery of #2. Stay tuned for weekly updates. Hope this inspires you to get off the couch yourself every once in a while, or at least makes you laugh at how I'm going about it! 

day 1
Today I started running again.
Man what a great feeling. Feet to pavement, well to the treadmill this time because it was too damn hot outside to run and the baby was asleep and I didn't want to disturb her. Still, a great feeling.

To realize that your body still works. That is an incredible thing after being pregnant, gaining the pounds, not running for almost a year because whenever you tried to do more than walk or move on the elliptical machine when you were huge and wobbly and off balance, you didn't feel energized or ready to run, you felt well, huge and wobbly. Now, knowing that knees bend and feet arch and legs stretch and stomachs can suck in and everything just WORKS, that feels amazing.

It was only a few weeks ago that I could not bend at the stomach because of my C-section incisions. I could not bend down to pull up my own underwear in the hospital, needed my husband to help take a shower, could not get out of bed without flinching. Yet I ran today. It all worked again! Crazy!

Of course it doesn't work all the same way as it did when I was in 5k shape the last time around. But hey, we'll get there again, no worries.

So there I was, armed with my Teen Mom MTV shows on the lap top (cannot run on the treadmill staring at the wall, need something cool to pass the time). Started the Couch to 5k program for the second time. I started it a year after my first son was born in preparation for my first race. It was the best thing I'd ever done for myself. Now back at it, 3 months after my daughter was born. I recovered from a C-section for 8 weeks, then started walking then when I had the OK from the doc. I gave myself until 12 weeks to start running again, and even as I planned that I told myself I'd only start if I felt "ready." I am a big proponent of listening to your body instead of what others say or do.

Well, I was ready. I'm so ready. I can't wait to get back into running shape. Running is my escape, my sanity and my power. It's my control and way of life. It's how I function really. It's the best thing I have found to make me a better mom and wife and person.

Today was good. Even if I didn't get the laundry done in order to run. It was still good. Laundry can wait.


(there I am stepping out for my first walk with the baby, post-surgery!)

day after
Typed "Maine 5k races" into Google today. A whole lot came up. I moved ahead a few months and found a few cool ones in September I could be ready for. It's good to have an end in mind, a goal to set my sights on. I'm a little early into this game to be looking toward the end, but hey, goals are good. Not quite ready to sign up for one yet... but I know which are looking good.

Just keep running, just keep running...

day 2
I ran last night. At 8:45 p.m. When I was ready for bed, both kids were asleep and hubby was ready to sleep, too. I ran instead of sleeping. I laced up my sneakers. I rushed through washing the dishes and putting toys away, and I ignored the overflowing bucket of dirty laundry. And I ran. I watched Teen Mom while I did it, so that was fun. "It's only 20 minutes tonight," I told myself over and over to keep up the motivation I really did not have. When I saw 10 minutes on the screen of the treadmill I thought, "See, half-way there, it's not so bad." Then when I was done, I was SO excited. My first time wanting to NOT run and yet I ran. That. IS. AWESOME. Go me!

But my girls are a hurtin'! Full of milk and huge, the sports bra is not cutting it. Note to self: Ask running friends what the hell they use to keep those damn things contained when running.

day 3
I did it! I ran the three times I was supposed to this week! SO pumped right now. It's just awesome to say I did something for ME while I have two kids.

Today I was able to run in the middle of the day because my husband was home early from work and both kids were napping at the same time. It was too hot outside to run in the middle of the day though so treadmill it was. I walked past the dirty bottles in the sink, clean dishes in the strainer, beach bag that needed to be unpacked, milk that needed to be put in freezer bags, clean laundry that needed to be folded, birthday gift that needed to be wrapped, emails that needed to be replied to, and floor that needed to be swept in order to do what I needed to do. And yes, I noticed every one of those things as I walked from the kitchen to the treadmill room, thinking "I really should do those things while the kids are sleeping and I have some time." But I chose not to. I chose me instead. THAT is awesome.

I can do this. Again. 

(Post-run: baby screaming so I had to feed her while all sweaty and nasty. Shower had to wait longer than I wanted. But I ran today. So who cares. I can stink a little. It's all good!)


**be sure to check out this post and others at a GREAT new site www.momsinmaine.com
 where myself and others are featured bloggers!**

Also see the FACEBOOK group Maine (Moms RUN This Town)

No comments:

Post a Comment