share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

a birth story with baby #2 - Sarah Tibbetts!


What a beautiful birth story! A fantastic momma of one adorable son, who delivered a beautiful baby girl and did a great job - pushing 10 minutes! - with her second labor!

And let it begin...
Mild but regular contractions started around 9 p.m. on 3/20 (due date.) I
went to bed and woke up at 3 a.m. with stronger contractions. They increased in intensity throughout the morning and became more frequent. I already had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 10:30 a.m. We decided to leave my son Eli with his grammy and take our bags "just in case."

By the time we got to the doctor the contractions were about 5 minutes apart and pretty strong. We told the nurse what was going on and when my doctor came in she said "sounds like someone is in labor!" She did an exam and said I was 4 cm, thin and baby was low. We went across the street to the hospital (after stopping for a snack!). We were admitted and settled in around 11:30 a.m.

They monitored me and the baby for a while, then let me walk around. I had talked with my doctor and nurse about wanting an intrathecal and hoping to avoid an
epidural. Around 2 p.m. the contractions were more intense and getting to the point of wanting some relief. The doctor checked and said I was 5 cm and then broke my water. I got an intrathecal a little before 3 a.m. They monitored me and the baby for a bit, then I walked around for an hour. They had said that walking was the best way to move things along so I was on a mission!

I started feeling a little woozy (something they said to watch for) around 4 p.m. They were having trouble finding the baby's heartbeat and said it was probably because she had moved down so quickly. The doctor checked and said I was 10 cm and
ready to push! I started pushing around 4:15 p.m. Things moved quickly,
but the intrathecal was wearing off and I felt everything.

Baby's on her way!
The baby got hung up once her head was half out and it hurt so badly! I swore
not to be one of those ladies who yells or wants to give up during labor, but I did have a moment of that, quickly followed by me apologizing and saying I knew I could do it. After 10 minutes of pushing Ruby arrived in the world at 4:25 p.m! She was placed on my chest right away and we were amazed at how beautiful, alert and tiny she was! She weighed 6 lbs 7 oz and was 21 inches long.


After having such a long and difficult labor with Eli (24 hrs of
labor, 2 intrathecals, epidural, 3 hours of pushing, vacuum assisted
delivery) I couldn't believe this labor was so much easier! Having
this be my second baby, I was thankful to know more, be able advocate for myself and take more control of our experience.

Big brother visited!
Eli was able to come visit and have dinner with us around 5:30 p.m. It was so nice to be able to involve him so early. He was nervous when he first came in but was so interested in "baby Ruby!" and talked to her in such a sweet voice. He came back to have lunch and dinner with us the next day, too. We gave him a Fisher Price doctor kit and he gave Ruby a pink stuffed poodle. Whenever she cried he said "she wants her
toy!" Tim took Eli home to put him to bed each night. My friend Noelle and Eli's grandmothers did a great job taking care of him while we were gone. He went to preschool on Friday with a picture of Ruby to share and got to pick a treat to have at school. He picked chocolate milk and his teacher sent him home with a half gallon of it! Ha!


Eli has stayed just as great with Ruby since we got home. He asks where she is, loves talking to her, asking "what's she doing?" and showing her things. He loves talking about his "baby sister" and how he is a big boy. He does cover his ears when she cries a lot though.

Going home!
Breastfeeding got off to a much better start than with Eli. Ruby latches well and doesn't seem as aggressive as Eli was. On the second night we ended up "topping her off" with a little pumped milk and formula since my milk wasn't in yet. It did come in on day 3- with a vengeance! By day 5 the engorgement subsided- phew! As of week one she is cluster feeding a lot several times a day. She'll eat for 20 minutes or so, be good for an hour, then want to eat again. After a round or two like this she'll sleep for 3-4 hours. A little tiring at night but not too bad! She likes to sleep laying on people chests but does like her swing and rock n play as well.

We feel so lucky and filled with love! There is a great sense of being complete as a family of four. I cannot wait to watch our children grow together and see everything that the future holds for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment