share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

who takes care of the mommy?

A great mommy wrote this rendition of what it's like when mom is sick in the home. By Holly Gunn

When mama's sick...who takes care of her? It's no wonder I can't get myself on the mend. When moms are sick there's no one to take care of us. We're so busy making sure everyone else is well rested and fed that it's near impossible for us moms to get a good home cooked meal and a solid night's sleep.

I've been fighting an undiagnosed sinus infection for almost 3 weeks now - pounding headache, gunky junk - yuck. The hubby got it and is on the mend thanks to me for letting him consistently sleep in and cooking homemade soups. The kids however have had it for a week now. My 4 year old is doing well - coughing lots at night but still has an appetite and overall his energy level has remained the same.

My 7 month old however is just a totally different baby. She's waking up at least once, sometimes twice at night, and thanks to my husband's wonderful shift work schedule I'm the one who always gets up to tend to her with an unsuccessful bag of tricks. She still has an appetite but she's miserable and cranky for most of the day. Her naps are few and far between. She prefers being held even though I prefer not.

My house looks like a tornado struck every room. My energy level and attitude is just not at par. What's a mom to do?

Remain hopeful and keep your eye on the prize - healthy babes and a good nights sleep. This can't last forever, even though it may seem like it can and right now I'm thinking it might, but the truth is it won't. The truth is it will all be over soon.

This chaotic month of illness will all be a thing of the past. Rest when you're able (even if it is only 20 minutes), drink plenty of fluids, and do as much as you can without pushing your limits (even if it is with the babe strapped to your back).

The life of a mom is, sometimes, exhausting but its who we are and what we do. We put the family first and take care of ourselves last and to me, most of the time, that's ok....it's what I'd prefer to do anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment