share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Monday, August 29, 2011

books - about feeding babies!


A few good books about making homemade baby food and other meals for your babies and toddlers, and overall feeding those little ones.

The Healthy Baby Meal Planner by Annabel Karmel
Lots of good info in this book. My favorite part about this book were the meal plans for each stage of the first year. The author gave specific schedules for how to feed your child solid foods, starting with cereal, vegetables and fruits. I found several great books about feeding my baby and making homemade baby food, but none gave this specific of a suggested schedule. I definitely recommend checking it out. It is helpful to have a guideline to base feeding on when you first start and don't really know what you are doing.

I also found a cool recipe in this book, Chicken and Apple Balls. I'll post that soon! Yum!

The Baby Food Bible - A Complete Guide to Feeding Your Child From Infancy On by Eileen Behan
I loved this book! Definitely a good one to have on hand or at least to start out with when you begin the feeding solids process. It has info on everything in there!

On page 15 I especially loved the chart, "Infant Feeding Guide." It offers information on how much milk, cereal, vegetables and fruits your baby should have by each age group. For example, when baby is four to six months old, she should have approximately 4-8 tablespoons of cereal and 28-45 ounces of breastmilk or formula. I remember having so many questions about how much I was supposed to feed my child - 1 tsp.? 2 Tbls.? I had no idea! It is really nice to have charts like this to guide you at first until you figure out what your baby likes.

Another great chart from page 37, "Common Self-Feeding Skills," showed when babies typically reach certain feeding milestones. For example, babies usually grasp food with hands between 4 and 8 months. They typically feed themselves using a spoon without spilling much between 7 and 24 months; drink from a sippy cup between 7 and 14 months. These guidelines are nice. They are typically the things you'll ask your good mom friends for ideas on when you should introduce more solids at certain times.

I especially liked the chart on page 40, "What to Feed After Twelve Months," because I recall when my son turned a year there was no longer much information about what to do with him. It all got generalized into "toddler," and being 12 months is a young side of toddlerhood.

Overall, it was a helpful read and definitely a "bible" of feeding your child solid foods.

Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron
OK I have absolutely no idea how I survived last summer and fall when first introducing solid foods to my son without having read this book. It's AWESOME! A friend told me about it last week and I checked it out of the library. It has everything you possibly want to know about starting to feed your child. Some of it I didn't do as they say in the book and my child is totally fine (for example, I did not make homemade rice or wheat cereal like they suggest you do by making Super Porridge) but still I found a lot of useful information in this book. It is the first book I have found so far that details what babies should be eating in each month - 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 through 12. It's very detailed, easy to read just the section you are interested in at certain times, and an overall good resource to have. I definitely recommend this, a good gift for a baby shower also. There were so many easy to use charts in this book that I liked, too.


The Everything Baby's First Food Book by Janet Mason TarlovGood resource! Includes all topics about feeding baby, starting with breast or bottlefeeding. It's just like all the others in this series - includes everything you want to know, in an easy and funny way of reading it.

Homemade Baby Food Pure & Simple - Your Complete Guide to Preparing Easy, Nutritious, and Delicious Meals for Your Baby and Toddler by Connie Linardakis
Great information about good nutrition for baby, as well as interesting recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment