share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

interview with a seasoned mom - Melissa S.

Thanks to Melissa S. for answering these questions even though her little girl is growing up quickly, no longer a baby! She is a good friend of Heather, who I know will appreciate hearing from her on here. Her daughter Grace keeps her quite busy these days, especially with fun summer vacation here!

Here is Melissa below, second one in on the left, at Heather's wedding back in 2008.

1. What do you wish someone had told you before you had a baby?
-More information about what happens when your water breaks.
-And, more information on Breast Feeding and PPD (postpartum depression).


2. What is the best part about being a new mom?
That is a hard one. There are so many wonderful things. I do love how no matter what they do "wrong" you still love them so much that it hurts--it gives us a glimpse into what Christ feels towards us.
Oops-I thought it said "mom" not "new mom".....sorry.


3. What is the one thing you never expected to feel so much of after having a baby?
a lack of Patience followed by a love that surpasses all understanding.

4. What has surprised you about how cool and great of a mom you are?
That is such a hard one because it's hard for me to "feel" like a cool or "great" mom. But, if I had to pick something I would say I do a great job being her Pre-K teacher. Something I never thought I would do, want to do or be good at. I am also a great planner and make sure to continually plan play dates and outings for my monkey so that she is socialized and able to experience all that God has created for us.

5. What are 3 registry must-haves that you can't live without and all new moms and babies should have?
-Miracle Blanket www.miracleblanet.com
-Video monitor (just don't get the baby kind--they are a rip off and WAY too expensive. Just get a video surveillance camera from a Lowes/Home Depot type place-wireless so it goes to all your TVs)
-Bumbo


6. What is your advice for the new mom-to-be for pregnancy?
Enjoy it. What is going on inside of you is a incredible miracle. God's work at it's finest.

7. What is your advice for her for when baby arrives?
Ask for help! Don't feel bad having people bring you meals, cleaning your house, etc. Relax and enjoy that newborn stage. It goes by way too fast.
-Start as you mean to go on! BEST advice ever given to me....basically don't start habits that you aren't going to want to break down the road or cause you a headache later. Also, there isn't one book that will solve all your problems and not one book that will be able to even answer all your questions. Every baby is so different. Take each bit of advice with a grain of salt and see what works best for your baby and your family and go with that even if everyone is telling you to do the opposite!

8. Any good books or Web sites you are in favor of, related to moms, pregnancy, babies, etc.?
The best book and web site for us was
www.thebabywhisperer.com
The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg - SAVED MY LIFE!


9. What was the hardest thing to get used to when you brought baby home?
Realizing that nothing would ever be the same again.
Those things sounded wonderful when I was pregnant but when she was born and I got PPD (postpartum depression), those thoughts made me more anxious.


10. What is your advice for getting through the labor?
Know that-You Can Do It!
With or with out meds! Do what is best for you.
Labor is a beautiful, painful, amazing thing. And, just remember that things will most likely go differently than you had planned, but however it happens, it's God's perfect plan for you.


11. What helped you survive pregnancy ups and downs?
The Baby Whisperer birth club. www.thebabywhisperer.com
I had zero friends with kids so it was hard and lonely being a new mom.
On that site I found friends and people who were there day and night to help me get through any problem I had. Also, my husband Loren and my Mom were amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment