share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

interview with a new mom - Jessie

As part of the blog I want to interview a few mom friends so that you hear firsthand from real moms what it's like the first year. I hope this encourages you to reach out and ask for help when you need it this year, knowing others have been in your shoes and totally get it.



So first up is Jessie, a friend of me and Heather's, from York, who just had a baby boy, Cale, a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to Jessie for being the first guinea pig!



1. What do you wish someone had told you before you had a baby?It's not that no one told me, but I wish I took people more serious about how many diapers we would go through! It's unbelievable how fast a clean diaper goes dirty. I swear Cale waits until he has a clean diaper just to dirty it for us (especially at night).

2. What is the best part about being a new mom?
The best part about being a new mom is when you look at your baby and see a little bit of yourself. It's so fun for people to say what features they think he got from me. Also,when you know that he recognizes you and your voice! Like when he is crying like crazy and when he hears your voice he calms down and starts to look for you. It's absolutely amazing.

3. What is the one thing you never expected to feel so much of after having a baby?
So, everybody says having a child you feel a love like no other......well, it's true. When we got Bailey (our dog) I loved her like crazy and thought how could I possibly love anything more than that but, it happened. Just knowing that this baby could not be here without you and that there is so much of yourself in this little itty bitty being I am absolutely in love with him.



4. What has surprised you about how cool and great of a mom you are?
I think the fact that I would do anything for Cale makes me a great mom (I hope). It has only been 3 weeks but I feel so great because I know that he knows who I am and that he needs me, and when I hold him I feel such an amazing bond right now, I just hope this bond continues even when he's older and having kids of his own.

5. What are 3 registry must-haves that you can't live without and all new moms and babies should have?
A small, portable vibrating seat. I take it into the bathroom during showers. Gowns for them to sleep in, it's so great not to have to deal with buttons during the middle of the night. And, my brother gave me this stuffed giraffe from cloud 9 that makes relaxing and calming noises, and also this white noise. I play the white noise each time he goes back in his bunk at night so it's not completely silent.

6. What is your advice for the new mom-to-be for pregnancy?
Enjoy pregnancy as much as you can. I loved being pregnant (almost all the time) but what I loved most was feeling Cale move. I used to fall asleep every night with my hand on my belly just feeling him kick and move around, and when I would relax on the couch I would watch my belly move each time he kicked. I really do miss that part.

7. What is your advice for her for when baby arrives?
Have your camera attached to your hip! lol There are so many cute faces that Cale makes that I wish I could catch all of them. Also, get newborn pictures. I didn't even think about doing that until Angela offered and I am so thankful that she did. That was 2 weeks ago and I still look at them at least every other day and I feel like he looks so grown up from those already. It is a great idea to set aside a time and have someone just keep snapping pictures to catch everything for you.

8. Any good books or Web sites you are in favor of, related to moms, pregnancy, babies, etc.?
I loved what to expect when you're expecting. I read a few (thanks to Melissa, so I know Heather has all of those now) but I thought that was the best.

9. What was the hardest thing to get used to when you brought baby home?
This is kind of funny but, if you're breastfeeding......your breasts are not yours anymore!!!! lol Seriously your baby owns them, you have to whip them out whenever they want. haha Funny but true!

10. What is your advice for getting through the labor?
Getting through labor can be tough but I just kept telling myself that there is an end to each contraction. There will be a break between the pains. Honestly, that got me through without an epidural, I just kept telling myself the contraction is almost over, the contraction is almost over.

11. What helped you survive pregnancy ups and downs?
I was very lucky and didn't really have many downs during pregnancy but just thinking about meeting your new little baby gets you through the 9 months, and labor. I was so anxious to find out what he would look like, would he have hair, what color? It's all so exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment