share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

I went out last night...

I went out to a bachelorette party last night.
I dressed up, put hoop earrings in, even blew dry my hair.
I left Owen with his dad, without even leaving a note as to what he needed to be fed and what time the antibiotics should be given or that it was bath night.
I just left. I went out.
By myself. Well, with 15 other girls.
And it was fabulous!



I think this is the first drink I've had in like two years. I'm not a big drinker, which is totally fine. But every now and then (more like every two years for me, but hey, who cares) it's great to have an amazingly delicious pina colada!

I had so much fun I barely remembered being a mom.
I am slightly afraid to post this on this site where you new moms are going to read it and think, "What? How could she leave without her baby? How could she not think of her baby even once? What? This is nuts! I must stop reading now."
Hold up there, New Mommy.
This is me with a 16-month-old toddler who talks and is almost walking and who stopped needing my boobs to produce milk 4 months ago!

I, too, was just like you when Owen was born. I didn't want him out of my sight, even to go to the bathroom! It's normal and natural and completely OK to feel that way in the beginning. The picture below was me last June.



However, at one point in that first year you are going to feel as though you are ready for a little piece of your old life to return to you so you can feel a little more like yourself again. That time did not come for me until Owen turned 12 months old. But when it hit it was pretty intense. I just wanted a few things to remind me that I was not just Mom with a capital M. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE being Mom. I'd never trade it for anything in the world. But I do believe now that Owen doesn't need me as much and that he loves being with other people it makes me a better mom when I make a little bit of time for myself.

So I say INDULGE. Go out and treat yourself to a pedicure or a massage or an ice cream date with your hubby or even to a totally ridiculously fun bachelorette night on the town with your best girl friends. We all need to live a little.

Just get home before midnight. That baby of yours will be up and at 'em early the next morning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment