share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

being good enough

I read somewhere that because it's ridiculous to even attempt being a perfect mother, it's totally acceptable to strive to be a "good enough" mother. I stopped to think about that a minute... and I tend to agree with the statement. It IS OK to be a good enough mother, one who tries her best, who sometimes fails and does the wrong thing, but who always has good intentions, is always trying to be better, and who admits she's not perfect and does not need to be.

This quotes sums it up perfectly:
"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." -J. Churchill

I don't want to be a perfect mother. I don't think such a thing exists anyhow. I do want to be a good mom, even a great one. I want to do my best, to give my son all that I can. Yet I know my limitations and I know that I'm not ever going to reach perfection, and that is OK with me. I try my best not to ever compare myself to other mothers or to judge them for how they raise their kids. That's one thing I've learned by being a mom. There is absolutely no use for judging other moms or wondering why people do certain things the way they do. We are all different. We all experience motherhood differently. Each of our kids is very different from another's.

It just makes sense that we all set out to do our best at being a mother and assume that other moms are doing their best, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment