share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

ask for help, really, it's OK

You are going to realize that you can't do it all alone. It's OK to ask for help, people are willing to support you so let them. It makes people feel included when you ask them to hold the baby while you shower or come over and help you sort through clothes because you are too tired to do it alone. People honestly love this stuff, so let them in on the action. It's too much to handle alone.

Also with asking for help, it's important to remember you husband. You need to ask for his help. Your husband doesn't read minds for a living, so you need to spell it out. You will need to work as a team more now than ever before. It'll be challenging at times to figure out who will work in which role at which time, something that is always changing due to your baby growing so quickly and going through different phases.

I believe it takes a village to raise a child. I know that to be true. I am very fortunate to not only have a large family on both mine and Jared's sides, but also to have them within a half hour from us. There is always an aunt or uncle, a grandparent or cousin ready to help watch Owen for us. We did not make ourselves a single meal of food for the first six weeks of Owen's life. Honestly, not one single meal we had to cook. People were over constantly with food for us. This is one thing that makes me sad not living closer to you. I wish I could be there to deliver food to you at least once a week. I know how helpful that was for me.

My little sister, Sierra, was a HUGE help to me, still is. I don't think I folded a single load of laundry the entire first two months of Owen's life. She loved it and would beg me to save the tiny clothes for her to fold and ohh and ahh over. People love this stuff!


It will feel strange to have so many people offering help, but honestly take it. You will be so tired that you'll need it. Just get a huge box of blank or thank you notes so you are ready and jot down when someone brings you something. Don't rush to the thank yous, people know you're busy, just get to it within the first three months of baby's life and call it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment