share your stories and join in on the discussion on Facebook!

Monday, May 30, 2011

star advice for a new mom

I found these quotes in the May issue of Parent magazine, advice from super stars on being a new mom, and below are my comments about them:

"Your children are basically on loan to you. By the time they become young adults, they grow their wings and fly. You should treasure every moment." - Sharon Osbourne
I totally agree with this one! I was sitting at a wedding yesterday and the father of the bride gave a toast to the happy couple. In it, he described how it feels like just yesterday his little girl was riding her bike for the first time, taking her first steps, saying "da da" and going off to college. Yet here they were at her wedding day. He said, "Where did the time go?" with such genuine curiosity and disbelief that it brought a tear to my eye. I feel that way every single day with my son. The time flies by. It's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day to-do list of things going on. It's so important to stop and take the pictures and to cherish each moment, to really be in each moment as it's happening with your child. Soon your baby will be moving and making words from her mouth and saying "ma ma" and you won't even believe it.

"Follow your heart when in doubt about what to do with all the decisions you have to make in that first year." - Leah Remini
So true. The best advice to take is the one from your husband or your own mind. There are so many decisions to make - cloth or disposable diapers, breastmilk or formula, immunization shots or none, daycare or stay at home, etc. It can be overwhelming. In times like that, you need to just step back, take a deep breath, close the door and just look at your baby and husband and say, "What is right for US here? What will make us happier, stronger?" Then follow your gut.

"You will never feel like you're doing enough for your kids. The feeling comes with the job. Give yourself a break." - Sara Gilbert
Yup, pretty much. You are always going to wish you had more time and money to spoil your little one. It's just not reality, and that is OK. I always reminded myself when I felt bad that I could not take off more time for maternity leave, on the nights that I could not put my baby to sleep because I had to work a second job to make extra money, and on the days that I snapped at my toddler out of frustration and exhaustion, I reminded myself that many other babies have far worse situations than my son does. I reminded myself that Owen is a very happy boy and that despite some of my flaws, he's surviving and thriving just fine. Your baby will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment